Detecting at the George O. Walton car crash site

ncbluejay

Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The George O. Walton crash site is less than 10 miles from my house. Some accounts say that valuable coins were scattered across the wreckage. Some say all coins were recovered. Im posting a link to George's great story (the owner of the 5th 1913 Libert Nickel that sold for millions). What do you guys think? Possible some coins still out there? 1913 5C Liberty PR63 PCGS.... Proof Liberty Nickels | Lot #4153 | Heritage Auctions

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure would not hurt to look if the site is not off-limits! They did not have much in the way of Metal Detectors back then and the folks that recovered the coins, may not have purchased one to make sure all of the coins were found.

Frank

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know the exact location I wouldn't mind spending a weekend scouting the site to see if anything is found. Any reports of anyone that have gone there over the years finding anything?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a long but great story. I would check out the crash site but expect to find modern coins from all the others over the years who have checked it out too.

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There all others that say they did. Granted they were newspapers. Only one way to know and that's to go down there for a day and see if you get a hit on anything

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
If you read the entire auction catalog entry for the coin, it is pretty clear that the coins across the highway is nothing more than a myth. You can look for them, or for Apollo's crown of gold. You are likely to find them in the same place.

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you are saying. I'm saying there ain't any harm in looking if I knew the spot. No difference then any other spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread