Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of bordem yesterday at work, I did my first ever search on craig's list.
I came across one ad that interested me.

I have the following coins for sale. I am selling the entire lot. I will not piece it out.

1 2006 American Buffalo Gold
1 1881 Gold 5 Dollar Piece
13 Dollars Eisenhower Uncirculated 1971 S
1 1883 Carson City Silver Dollar
2 Nickels Buffalo
1 Nickel 1903
1 Quarter 1898
1 Quarter 1916
1 Silver Dollar 1878
1 Silver Dollar 1879
1 Silver Dollar 1884
1 Silver Dollar 1890
1 Silver Dollar 1898
20 Half Dollars Liberty
21 Half Dollars Franklin
21 Half Dollars JFK 64 or before
5 Half Dollars JFK Post 64
211 Quarters Washington
3 Quarters Liberty
28 Dimes Mercury
115 Dimes Roosevelt
1 Dime Barber
113 Wheat Pennies

Using Google for identifiable items and spot price of Gold and Silver others (for melt value), I came up with an estimated price of about $2700. The seller was asking $3750.
Now I understand that without actually seeing the items and checking more diligently once more detail information could be obtained, exact pricing can not be determined.

Am I missing something obvious? I don't want to go over there with a pocket full of cash and not make a profit. My thinking was to offer $3000 knowing fair well that I potentially undervalued a lot of the unidentified coins.

Thanks in advance.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dates and mintmarks on some of those coins could make a significant difference, in addition to condition.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any pictures? If not, ask for pictures of all of the coins that are singled out, like the 1883 Carson City Morgan and the 1881 Five-Dollar Gold. This would be very helpful in determining value and authenticity. Be VERY careful if you do go out and buy the lot. Record the seller's name (or get a business card), his phone number, and his license plate number in case the coins are counterfeit. If you are scammed by the seller on the high-value coins, this information would be integral in getting your money back; otherwise, it would be very difficult. Do your homework and learn the diagnostics of genuine and fake coins. This may save you headache, heartache, and grief. I hope this was helpful.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely get pictures of the coins together. Don't get baited into meeting someone with a pocket full of cash without some assurance that they actually have the coins.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Coldshuz

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input and I'll do my best to get pics. The address is in an older affluent neighborhood, about 3 miles from my home. I was thinking of going over and getting a good inventory and pics at the same time. Then return with an offer with.

Again.. really appreciate your assistance and guidance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread