1907 "O" Barber dime (dug) estimate

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping someone with a little bit more coin experience than myself could give me a rough estimate of this coins potential value based on its condition.
The area I was metal detecting was almost all sand and has been deserted since the late 1920s I don't think this coin spent a long time in circulation.. Plus drainage of the sand helped keep it in good condition also I think.

ForumRunner_20140412_221056.png

ForumRunner_20140412_221118.png

I've used nothing to clean this but warm water

ForumRunner_20140412_221153.png

ForumRunner_20140412_221205.png

ForumRunner_20140412_221232.png

ForumRunner_20140412_221249.png

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry but we would need some better close-up and in-focus pics of the coin to determine a grade and value! It appears that all letters in "LIBERTY" are visible but I can't really tell for sure and how strong they are. Also, it appears that the Reverse was a weak strike or some details were ground and/or polished down on the Die to remove evidence of a possible Die Clash but again, it is really hard to tell. The combination of not having good close-up and in-focus pics along witht he environmental staining, makes it difficult to assess some details on the coin.

Frank

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much Frank that all makes very good sense I'm doing the best I can with a bad cell phone camera if you could bear with me I will see if I can improve on the photos.
I believe I read somewhere that many 1907 O's were a weak strike.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that was harder than I figured it would be

ForumRunner_20140414_210742.png

ForumRunner_20140414_210759.png

ForumRunner_20140414_210814.png

I hope that helped some if not I still appreciate you taking the time to look and respond

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Those help but some close-up straight on pics of the Obverse and Reverse are also needed. I am leaning towards F-12 but it is still too hard to tell. If it is an F-12, then probably $20 is the top price that one could hope for considering the environmental staining.

Frank

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much if I could consider that a likely general price that would be more than fine with me.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much if I could consider that a likely general price that would be more than fine with me.

It really depends on the Buyer! To the right person, you might get $20 but to someone that feels that the coin lacks eye appeal due to the environmental staining, then they might pay $15 but not much more. That is the negative that MD'ers have to deal with when selling dug coins with issues as I am sure you already know.

Per your earlier statement about many of the 1907-O Barber Dimes having weak strikes. I am not sure if this is or is not the case but I do know that many of the Dimes for this Date and Mint have Die Clashing. It would really be hard for me to tell from the pics alone, if your' coin has a weak strike or if the weakness of the Reverse details is due to grinding and polishing of the Die to remove a Die Clash.

Frank

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so very much for taking the time... If I was in this hobby to make money I would have given up a long time ago.
At least I don't have to worry about environmental damage much with these... Have a good night and thanks again

ForumRunner_20140414_221434.png

A few of my small 1715 fleet finds

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you so very much for taking the time... If I was in this hobby to make money I would have given up a long time ago.
At least I don't have to worry about environmental damage much with these... Have a good night and thanks again

View attachment 978707

A few of my small 1715 fleet finds

You are welcome and I hope that you get a fair price for the coin if you ever decide to sell it! Back in the late 70's and early 80's, times were tough for me and my family due to just starting out working for Uncle Sam in the Florida Keys. I used metal detecting as a way to help provide for my family and make ends meet. I never expected to get rich and guess what, I didn't. Those are some nice Pieces of Eight you found! I never found any of Spanish treasures (i.e. Cobbs, Jewelry or other) when I lived in the Keys but besides the many rings and coins (many of which were Silver) that I found, I once found a large Lead Bar. I took it home and placed it on the front porch step because I did not want to subject my wife (now ex-wife) and kids to the dangers of Lead. Someone must have thought that it was a Silver Bar because when I got up the next morning the Lead Bar was gone. Go figure! LOL!!

Good night as well!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread