Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy the best quality you can reasonably afford.
Quality pieces appreciate faster than the average market price--IMO.
Don...

I agree! I believe that if I had the money to spend and could get a good deal, I would purchase as many higher grade early, Semi-Key and Key Date Standing Liberty Quarters that I could afford, then sit on them. The SLQ's have been fairly hot over the years but the intensity of their hotness continues to increase with every passing day. Yeah, they could peak and start to bomb but I am sure that even if that happened, it would turn around in a few years and you must admit, that a Full Head specimen of an SLQ is just absolutely gorgeous!

Frank

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Foreign coins. Lots of underrated rarities in there. British is my specialty but I think you could do well with French or German coins as well or Asian coins if you knew the language.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying coins as an investment is a little different then buying coins as a collector. As an Investment, I would shop around and buy the best coin I could afford. As the saying goes "the most valuable coin collection in the world can be held in one hand." This can be translated into buy the best date possible to buy the highest grade possible of a non key date. This in my opinion is where the fun starts when you start comparing prices and grades and figuring where you can get your best deal.

As a new collector, I would stick to US coins (unless you are from another country and then maybe tour the local coin market). As an Investment I would also make sure anything I bought was graded. As far as grading I do not think it matters on lower grade key date stuff as any of the big four companies can guarantee authenticity. If however you are buying a high grade coin I would suggest PCGS or NGC only, for this one reason once you are ready to sell it for profit these companies are recognized as the Top experts in the field.

I would suggest staying away from raw coins as a new investor.

Cheers - Galen

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Silver coin buying

Buying coins as an investment is a little different then buying coins as a collector. As an Investment, I would shop around and buy the best coin I could afford. As the saying goes "the most valuable coin collection in the world can be held in one hand." This can be translated into buy the best date possible to buy the highest grade possible of a non key date. This in my opinion is where the fun starts when you start comparing prices and grades and figuring where you can get your best deal.

As a new collector, I would stick to US coins (unless you are from another country and then maybe tour the local coin market). As an Investment I would also make sure anything I bought was graded. As far as grading I do not think it matters on lower grade key date stuff as any of the big four companies can guarantee authenticity. If however you are buying a high grade coin I would suggest PCGS or NGC only, for this one reason once you are ready to sell it for profit these companies are recognized as the Top experts in the field.

I would suggest staying away from raw coins as a new investor.

Cheers - Galen

Thanks Koffee, I know sound advice when I hear it and will follow your suggestions.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pre 1933 gold is nice! My favorite stuff now. Most always holds a premium but you would need a lot if clad to get one!

When I started I went with what I liked. And that was quarters. Was not too expensive and they looked nice too! Also just finished the standing liberty set as well~ the unc ones are very nice! Some nicer graded morgan dollars are always a good way to go too.

Also if you have a chance get an older red book, in fact I have one you can have from the 90s I believe. Compair the prices from then to now to see where your best return is at. Like for example a 1885 nickel in the same grade went up a $100 when a 1914s barber quarter went up $450 in the same time, same grade... Just an idea.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Pre 1933 gold is nice! My favorite stuff now. Most always holds a premium but you would need a lot if clad to get one!

When I started I went with what I liked. And that was quarters. Was not too expensive and they looked nice too! Also just finished the standing liberty set as well~ the unc ones are very nice! Some nicer graded morgan dollars are always a good way to go too.

Also if you have a chance get an older red book, in fact I have one you can have from the 90s I believe. Compair the prices from then to now to see where your best return is at. Like for example a 1885 nickel in the same grade went up a $100 when a 1914s barber quarter went up $450 in the same time, same grade... Just an idea.

Gold coins are an investment that is pushed on people by investment firms and such. I do not view gold coins as "coins" in the same way I view a SLQ or Barber Half, etc. To me, they are just hunks of gold. When you have places like Amazon selling that recent gold coin hoard, I think that just proves my point. It isn't about the coins, it is about a product that is traded on the consumer market. The problem with "investing" in gold coins is that due to the nature of the way they are marketed, most people will end up buying them at the top of the market value for a retail price. Then they will need to sit on them for many years and HOPE that the price of gold goes up in order to make any money. Of course, when going to sell them, just like with any retail product, you will not be able to sell them at a retail price. If you ask the old timers and the people who have been in the coin business for 30-50 years, they will all tell you that coins are a BAD investment. If you are into coins, you will ONLY do well making money with them if you take the time to educate yourself and follow the trends. You must know why you are the coins that you buy and understand what makes them valuable or potentially valuable.

I am not saying that collecting gold coins is "wrong". It just isn't for me.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to your local coin shop. Do not buy at flea markets!

WRONG! I have been ripped off VERY BADLY at a coin shop and treated very poorly at many others. Now they are my last resort when buying coins.

I have gotten some of the best deals at flea markets.

If you take the time to educate yourself when making coin purchases, you will be confident in making coin purchases anywhere.

Point being you can get taken at a coin shop just as easily as you can at a flea market OR ANYWHERE. The solution: Education!

Also, if you want the best venue for buying coins at a fair price with low risk of being taken, go to a major coin show!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hit or miss where you get it....Ebay used to be a great place to find it...When silver was 40 oz, you would see people selling it for spot...now that has dipped...people are still trying to get that same price for it.....I have heard that some coin shops (Not all are the same) are selling Peace and Morgans for 20 bucks a pop...I personally troll the interwebs for people that dont know what they are selling and make out on it by looking for common mistakes they make when listing.

Good luck man!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions