Copper pennies...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they really worth saving? I'm 33. I have a jar with them in it. Well.....

image-25441694.jpg

27 lbs to be exact. There is a nice mix of wheat pennies. Probably some Indian heads as well. Does any one else save them or a waiste of time?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends on what you think the price will do in the future. Personally, I think copper prices will go up. I separate the Indians, wheats, and copper from the Zincolns. I spend the Zincs and save the rest. Like Nitric said, it only costs you a little time.

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not like you can sell them for scrap. That's illegal. So what are you gonna do with them? I've been going through my coin bucket just to see what I have but is there a reason to separate?

Chris W.

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Just looking for justification to be going through the 50 lbs of coins I have been saving over the past years. So far I have found many coppers, 1 wheat(1941), 1 UK penny and a 1961 Rosie. Not even half way through all I have.

Chris W.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have around 65 to 75 pounds of pre1982 pennies just throwing them in a jar from pocket change.I do the samething with nickles,i have around 25 pounds (if not more)of those lol.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Other than the left over silver coins still in circulation. Pennies and nickels are worth more than face. I'm doing the same thing as you Red. I have nothing to lose, nothing more than face invested. If I get tired of them and dump them it really cost me nothing and I recover all my money. If copper and nickel shoot up.Which is possible depending on what goes on in the world, It would be an easy win, if enough saved!

Exactly buddy:icon_thumright:.Another way to look at it is if the SHTF you have a pile of metal thats easy to work with if needed.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Plus no one is going to break in and run off down the road with 5gal. buckets of pennies! lol I actually had a bucket split when I was moving, they are heavy!

LMAO,i can picture it lol.not only trying to run down the street but you having the bucket split open on you lol.Wrap some gorilla tape around it before filling lol.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the late 70s to mid 80s, I worked as an auditor and general flunky for a convenience store group. We had one older couple that operated one of our stores. Instead of rolling the pennies, they would put them into the metal 'army ammo' containers that were kinda cube shaped. Probably about 4 gallons each? They lived in a house next to the store. The house burned one night. A few days later, the man started carrying those pennies to the bank. There were 14 of those containers full of pennies!! They weighed so much, that he could only take about 5 of them in the trunk of his car at a time. Although the bank employees had a lot of laughs about all of those pennies; they told him that they would not handle any more loose pennies from him again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions