Finally found a state copper (two of them!!)

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this week I hit a cellar hole area that I'd been to several times. Up until now, I'd had no luck; just a couple of ox knobs. I got lucky, though, and found not just my first state copper, but my second as well. This was over two days. I dug a Mass cent and either a Vertmonts or Vermontis copper. I'd love some help with grading these coins. I will never sell them, but wouldn't mind learning their value, too. Family and friends keep assuming they're worth thousands. I'm feeling like maybe a hundred or so. I've tooth picked them but haven't waxed them yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 148

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe what you have is a Massachusetts Cent produced 1787 and 1788 and a Vermont Copper produced 1785 and 1786.

Frank

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When posting coins for ID / Info./ Value, you have to show both sides. That said, just seeing the Vermont obverse (as you know) it's 1785, and either Ryder 2, 3, or 4, and given the rarest of the three is just listed as rare (Ryder 3), being dug and in the condition your coin is it wouldn't bring very much, and a little less if it's one of the other 2. So your friends are a little too excited... but you definitely want to always ID these because one in VG condition just sold on ebay for almost $30,000.

All three possibilities for your coins did not share dies, so any detail you can see on the reverse would help to make the case for which you have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some new, more detailed, pix.

When posting coins for ID / Info./ Value, you have to show both sides. That said, just seeing the Vermont obverse (as you know) it's 1785, and either Ryder 2, 3, or 4, and given the rarest of the three is just listed as rare (Ryder 3), being dug and in the condition your coin is it wouldn't bring very much, and a little less if it's one of the other 2. So your friends are a little too excited... but you definitely want to always ID these because one in VG condition just sold on ebay for almost $30,000.

All three possibilities for your coins did not share dies, so any detail you can see on the reverse would help to make the case for which you have.

Thanks, Iron Patch, for your information and knowledge. I don't expect the coins are worth too much, just looking for an answer to the inevitable questions I get.
Attached are a few shots of the coins that have been cleaned. They are the best I can do until I can find another way to get more detailed images. Thanks in advance for any further help that can be provided.
Ray

Attachments

• mass front resized.jpg
    mass front resized.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Mass reverse.jpg
    Mass reverse.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Vermont front.jpg
    Vermont front.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Vermont reverse.jpg
    Vermont reverse.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Iron Patch, for your information and knowledge. I don't expect the coins are worth too much, just looking for an answer to the inevitable questions I get.
Attached are a few shots of the coins that have been cleaned. They are the best I can do until I can find another way to get more detailed images. Thanks in advance for any further help that can be provided.
Ray

Vermont is Ryder 2, which is common. They're both fairly value coins but still very good detecting finds.

1785 Vermont Copper - Ryder 2

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really beautiful old coins. Congratulations.
I would soak them in mineral oil or olive oil for a few months. It may help them clean up a little more.

I used to use olive oil elusively but have since learned that mineral oil is PH neutral and cannot harm the metal in any way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread