Just starting out

kuehntw

Apr 21, 2014
Hi guys, I bought my first detector today and plan on putting it to use when I go on vacation to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks. As for now I live in southern Ohio and was wondering how I might go about finding some starting locations? I'm probably just looking for coins to start off if that helps.

I kind of randomly decided that detecting sounds like a fun hobby and welcome any tips or advice going into it!

Thanks guys!

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck on your first hunt. Can I ask what type of detector you decided on. I'm a coin collector and was thinking of getting a detector but after reviewing several on line I'm really undecided.

Have a great afternoon.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! You might try posting in the metal detecting forum and/or the Ohio section with your questions. You'll probably get more answers than here in the coin section.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuehn, try to prepare for your trip by getting to know your new machine before you leave. Get as many hours on it as you can, usually in your own yard, and practice by "seeding" some spots in the dirt with different coins, and noting the tones, numbers, signals, etc...for each one and try to hide a few at different depths to check your range. Position a coin or two on edge or vertically to see how that affects your signal (it WILL be slightly different-usually in tone). READ your owners manual front to back top to bottom! and make sure you take it with you. ALSO-welcome to T-Net ! Used properly, this place is a treasure trove in itself on great help and information...a lot of great people have helped me more than once and it was greatly appreciated. As far as places locally to hunt-try schools and parks, but make sure to check local regulations-here in Fairfield County there is a "no detecting" ordinance for our parks...bummer. What machine did you buy and where in Southern Ohio do you live? Hope this helps, look forward to hearing back...ddf

Last edited:

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone always seems to be in NW, SE, SW, Central, or just south ohio. Never NE ohio.
owell, more for me!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to find coins go where the crowd goes. wherever people have been they have dropped something. Highly populated areas will give your most volume. Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They also have the most trash and you usually have more competition at those sites. There always seems to be a trade-off regardless of where you hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions