Collection of rolled wheat pennies

Jaromoney

Greenie
Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Guys,
looking for a little advise/direction.
I have just recently gotten back into coin collecting after inheriting a sizeable collection from an Uncle to add to my little collection of my own from years ago. Evidently my Uncle was facinated with wheat cents. Besides the hundreds he had in the little square cardboard penny protectors he had six of the military ammo boxes full of rolled by year wheaties. Anywhere from $50-$55 worth in each box.
My question is what is the best way sell/trade this. What ball park value can I expect? Thanks for any advise or suggestions.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start by checking for key dates, mint marks, and varieties. The rest can be sold on E-bay or to your local coin shop. Depending on year and condition, common dates will only bring $.02-.05 ea. If you have some in XF or better condition, a little more. The rare ones will have to be graded individually to determine value.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark is right....I am mainly interested in finding them anywhere. I have couple buckets and started to look for dates, etc. but quickly got bored and stopped. Good Luck...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the hard work is already done for you (i.e. most are in rolls and sorted by the Date or Year). Now, the question is, are they also sorted by the Mintmarks? If so, then you could sell them that way(*). If not but a quick check revels that most of the rolls contain coins from all of the Mints, then you sell them that way (i.e. Title states "For sale or Up for auction is a roll of 1921-P,D & S Lincln Cents"). As has been recommended, just remove all Key Date and Semi-Key Date Coins and replace the removed coins with coins from one of the other Mints of the same Date and sell them (i.e. such as remove all 1931-S Cent from a 1931 Dated roll and replace with 1931-P and 1931-D Cents) or if there are not enough of the 1931-P and 1931-D Cents to fill the roll, then fill with another Date and sell them as a mixed roll).

(*) Rolls of Cents by Date/Year (which include most or all of the Mintmarks) will generally sell for more than most mixed Date/mixed Mintmark rolls. However, some lower mintage coin rolls for a specific Date and Mintmark will sell for much more separately. Therefore, as in he scenario above, if you remove all of the 1931-S Cents from a roll or several rolls, then if enough replacements are available, the you would want to sell the 1931-D and 1931-P Cent separately in rolls by themselves but if not enough, then sell them as a mixed 1931-P and 1931-D mixed roll.

There are many different ways you could sell the coins, so you might want to wait for more advice as well as do some research for sold Wheat Cent rolls on eBay, to see which way will benefit you the most.

Frank

OP
OP
J

Jaromoney

Greenie
Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I have put a few rolls by date and mint mark on ebay... will see how they go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread