1891 Seated Dime Grade

greenz30

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg

I recently purchased this coin but can't decide if it would grade as XF or maybe AU. I appreciate any help

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just going by your photos, I'd say AU-55.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just going by your photos, I'd say AU-55.

I agree but the Obverse appears a little better! The "LIBERTY" on the Shield appears funky and almost unreadable and I believe that this may more explain the overall appearance of the coin. It was apparently struck with Late Die State (Stage) Dies, that look to have been repaired (ground, polished and possibly tooled) several or more times to remove Die Clashes and other problems and would somewhat explain the weakness of the Strike. There appears to be left over evidence of Die Clashing on the Reverse and there appears to be several Die Cracks as well on the Reverse.

Frank

OP
OP
G

greenz30

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost think it has been cleaned sometime. What do you guys think? And if it has been, how much would its value be affected

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it's definitely AU. As for the cleaning, I don't know. I'd have to look at it in person to determine that. If you look at it under a light and see many hairlines, then there's a good chance that it may have been cleaned.

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to say AU-55 or AU-58 Details. Looks cleaned to me, but considering I don't have the coin on hand I can't determine that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread