1869 indian head penny

gernith

Sep 30, 2012
View attachment 999686
attachment.php

My 7 year old son was looking through a jar of pennies we have "just had for years" and found this. My old eyes had seen it before, but thought it was a corroded dime. Searching the web I have seen a huge range in value. Given the rough shape of this old guy, does anyone have a rough idea of its grading, or value? The picture was taken with a light hitting it from the side to show depth.

Pretty cool to find something lying around the house that was made only 4 years after the end of the US civil war!

Thanks,
Gern

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well first off, I can't tell for sure if the thick line running from the "E" in STATES through Liberty's face and neck as well as the thin line running from the "F" in OF to the "9" in the Date is damage or strike thru errors but believe that they are Post Mint Damage. Based on that assumption and the condition of the Obverse and thinking that the Reverse would be about the same, then the coin would net grade at about G-4 of Good. According to PCGS' Price Guide an 1869 Indian Head Cent in G-4 condition is worth $80 but due to the damage, verdigris, corrosion and pitting on your' coin, it might fetch $40 to $50 but no more than $30 is probably a good bet. Sorry but the damage, verdigris, corrosion and pitting really hurts the value!

Frank

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a close look at the 69 in the date. If it's the overdate, it's worth about 3 times more.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find don't clean it!!!!! Don't I repeat don't clean it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread