and 1819 large cent need advice

jbbj

Aug 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
tc2x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I was metal detecting and old foundation and found an 1819 large cent. Went to dealer he offered me 15 for it to me I thought he was nuts am I right? And said u cant grade coins from the ground Is that true? Can anyone give some kind of grade and kinda a price range? And is it worth having it sent to grade?

OP
OP
jbbj

jbbj

Aug 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
tc2x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad forgot pics

NCM_0243-1.jpg

ForumRunner_20140604_201749.png

OP
OP
jbbj

jbbj

Aug 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
tc2x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O and is this large date or small dont know the difference

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, a dug coin can be graded depending upon the Grading Service that might grade it but it is (**) probably not valuable enough to warrant the cost! For a dug coin or a coin with issues, the Details grade is usually reduced to a Net grade due to the conditions that deter the coin from actually making the Details grade. While it is somewhat hard to determine the grade of the Reverse as a better pic is needed, the Obverse is at least an F-15 but teters on a VF-20. Now, if the Reverse is pretty much the same grade as the Obverse and accounting for the corrosion or other issues that keep the coin from actually being an F-15 or VF-20, it still could receive an F-12 grade and is worth a bit more than $15 in most people's books. The coin appears to be the Small Date Variety but a better close-up pic of the Date would help in determining if this is correct. Now, if it is a Small Date Variety, then (**) there are 8 Sheldon sub-Varieties within the 1819 "Small Date Variety" Large Cents. It may take some time to determine if it is a Common Variety, Scarce Variety or Very Scarce Variety. Once the sub-Variety is determined for the coin, then a more clearer value can be placed on it. I will try to determine the sub-Variety but in the meantime, hopefully someone with the reference books will post the sub-Variety here.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
jbbj

jbbj

Aug 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
tc2x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closer pic of date

NCM_0243-2.jpg

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The value on net graded coins is not equivalent to the same graded coin that is problem free. The market is extremely soft for problem coins right now, especially something as common as a Coronet Head large cent. IMO, the $15 was fair (for a dealer).

OP
OP
jbbj

jbbj

Aug 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
tc2x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a way I could tell if its a large date? I use a scope for work...cant get a good close up pic of the date.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a way I could tell if its a large date? I use a scope for work...cant get a good close up pic of the date.

If you have a Gem Loupe or a good Magnifying Glass (that idoes not distort images), you can hold them in front of and up against the camera's lense and sometimes get better in-focus closeups. I have edited and enhanced the pic of the Date as best I can and as I stated, it appears to be a Small Date Variety but an in-hand inspection with a good Gem Loupe is needed.

Frank

1819LargeCent2.jpg

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Reverse of this coin tells me the coin is a Newcomb 6 Very Common, Rarity 1..............

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a rare date...but hey, it was struck when Thomas Jefferson was still alive! Any nice U.S. coin dated 1820 and before is worth having...certainly wouldn't trade it in for $15 bucks, especially one I found myself. As for grade, it's rough in places but not bad at all. I think it has a pretty fair amount of eye appeal.

jupiterkm

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it doesn't have any corrosion, the Greensheet (wholesale) values a standard 1819 @ $34 for Fine, $58 very fine condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread