I need help!!!

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys so this guy at my local flea market sells old coins. And he sells silver coins, wheat pennies, and Indian head pennies. Pretty much all the coins you could think of. Last week I bought a rosevelt 1963 proof silver dime from him for 5 dollars. But what should I look out for today? Which coins? Which years? He even has old Canadian coins. Anything I should be looking out for in old Canadian coins? Please help I'm leaving for the flea market in like a hour. Thanks a lot!!!!! :)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
buy silver, don't spend a lot...your question is too big to answer without details.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
buy all that you can afford, maybe the dealer will "bundle" different lots at a discount, and get there earlier.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best answer is to buy absolutely nothing, I know it sounds crazy now but you will thank me later. Until you have properly educated yourself in a particular series of coins all your buys will be completely blindfolded, do you know what is considered a strong strike for the year and mintmark, what varieties may be present or if it has been cleaned. Pick an interesting series and read read read until you can accurately assess what it is you are buying, start small focusing on one series at a time when you have read the proper books the coins themselves will have the answers for you. The devil has always been in the details and a coins dollar value is never the same, no coin is ever the same.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best answer is to buy absolutely nothing, I know it sounds crazy now but you will thank me later. Until you have properly educated yourself in a particular series of coins all your buys will be completely blindfolded, do you know what is considered a strong strike for the year and mintmark, what varieties may be present or if it has been cleaned. Pick an interesting series and read read read until you can accurately assess what it is you are buying, start small focusing on one series at a time when you have read the proper books the coins themselves will have the answers for you. The devil has always been in the details and a coins dollar value is never the same, no coin is ever the same.

Some of the best advice I have ever seen on this website!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Easier said... you won't win because he most likely knows more.

But to make the argument the other way, it's hard to learn without sticking your nose in a little.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easier said... you won't win because he most likely knows more. But to make the argument the other way, it's hard to learn without sticking your nose in a little.[/QUOTE

Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I couldn't agree more. So many mistakes made that way. Learn about coins and values then go from there. Don't jump in right away. Your library needs to be as big or bigger than your coin collection.

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys so this guy at my local flea market sells old coins. And he sells silver coins, wheat pennies, and Indian head pennies. Pretty much all the coins you could think of. Last week I bought a rosevelt 1963 proof silver dime from him for 5 dollars. But what should I look out for today? Which coins? Which years? He even has old Canadian coins. Anything I should be looking out for in old Canadian coins? Please help I'm leaving for the flea market in like a hour. Thanks a lot!!!!! :)
5 dollars is pretty steep for just a 63 proof dime IMO. Def do much more research before any more purchases

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now I know why I have a massive collection of junk coins:laughing7:

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 dollars is pretty steep for just a 63 proof dime IMO. Def do much more research before any more purchases

Thanks for your input :)

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now I know why I have a massive collection of junk coins:laughing7:

That's pretty rude.. You might not like my coin collection but maybe I admire my coin collection.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty rude.. You might not like my coin collection but maybe I admire my coin collection.

I think you need to re-read the comment, he's not talking about you. In fact he is making fun of himself.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you need to re-read the comment, he's not talking about you. In fact he is making fun of himself.

Oh okay thanks haha wasn't paying attention.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anybody have any old coins that they don't want that I can have??? I have like no coins. All I have is wheat pennies and a 1963 proof pretty much the rest are foreign coins

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody have any old coins that they don't want that I can have??? I have like no coins. All I have is wheat pennies and a 1963 proof pretty much the rest are foreign coins

Start CRH also check the pawn shop I picked up a mint I mean mint as hell. 1998 w.a.m for 10cents. I'm thinking of buying all the buffalos too he has Tupperware jars too 10cents ea. He has dateless and dated. Also IHS for 25cents couple halves wheats for 3cents. Shield backs for 50 cents or a dollar. Still I asked to look at the one cent all on its lonely seen it was a 1998 so I looked seen the gap. Tried to to smile to big lol. Its sitting somewhere around here I'd give it a ms66. Sorry for thread jack.

Can also buy rolls for cheap from eBay. I'm not giving any of my coins away I've worked to hard for them. I'd sell them but never give. Call me greedy but ohh well. They are more of a long term investment but the buffs I'm hoping for a quick flip.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start CRH also check the pawn shop I picked up a mint I mean mint as hell. 1998 w.a.m for 10cents. I'm thinking of buying all the buffalos too he has Tupperware jars too 10cents ea. He has dateless and dated. Also IHS for 25cents couple halves wheats for 3cents. Shield backs for 50 cents or a dollar. Still I asked to look at the one cent all on its lonely seen it was a 1998 so I looked seen the gap. Tried to to smile to big lol. Its sitting somewhere around here I'd give it a ms66. Sorry for thread jack. Can also buy rolls for cheap from eBay. I'm not giving any of my coins away I've worked to hard for them. I'd sell them but never give. Call me greedy but ohh well. They are more of a long term investment but the buffs I'm hoping for a quick flip.

ThankS. But I already coin roll hunt.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a favorite website of mine for coin values and info. It explains things such as: strong strikes, full split band dimes, full step nickles, full head detail quarters, red or brown pennies, etc. Lots of times a deal on a "mint state" coin seems pretty good and then you find out from a knowledgeable person later that the coin is a weak strike or lacks a crucial detail such as fully split bands...here is the link, click on "dictionary" for some great info...all the best.

United States Coin Values Pricing Guide

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions