1881-S Morgan mis-strike? Opinions welcome!

USA

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I just bought a handful of Morgans and I found this one in the lot. It appears the date has been doubled? I don't have any experience with error or mis-strike coins so I'd appreciate any help. The coin in probably in XF/AU condition. If it is a mis-strike, how would it impact the value of the coin?

Thanks all!

USA

1881 Misstrike.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but it appears to be an optical illusion created by where the lighting was placed for taking the picture of the coin! This seems to apparent due to the light shadowing on the Stars as well on the bottom 1/3rd of the coin. If it was truly doubling of the Date and Stars and of that significance, then it would also be seen on the remaining Stars, the Lettering and details of Miss Liberty. Lighting can do weird things when either viewing or taking pictures of coins and make us believe we are seeing something that is not there. Try viewing or taking a picture of the coin in shaded neutral but natural light and you will see what I mean.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I've also seen where.. for some reason the coin will tarnish funny like that! I don't know why or what causes it. Maybe from being dipped in the past? Or certain holders in the sun at the same angles? I don't have a clue why! I have seen morgans and other silver coins do this or have this appearance! I Don't know enough about errors to say if that is what's going on with your coin. Just the first thought when I saw it.

Some that I saw do this were kept in old envelopes just big enough for the coin. I can't remember, I think old timers treated the coin then put them in envelopes and left them to tarnish. That's where you get different purples and rain bowing! My memory stinks so I might have things all mixed up! lol Just something to check into.They did heat treating too. But I'm not sure how it would give them the look like yours.

Good point Nitric! I have seen the very same thing and while I had it in the back of my mind when writing the previous post, I did not even mention it. Come to think of it, it does appear to be what they call Negative Shadow Toning. Thanks!

http://www.coinbooks.com/esylum_v12n09a13.html

Frank

OP
OP
U

USA

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting! Negative Shadowing sounds cool. I need to get my loupe out and take a closer look. It certainly looks like thats what it could be.

philski

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2014
Sheffield Tasmania
Detector(s) used
x terra 705, gpx5000, xt1700
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin has doubling and looks to have been cleaned recently. Otherwise (personally) i would grade it at aUNC - UNC., well spotted though. it has a beautiful full strike, on a beautiful silver coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread