Few opinions on a two coins. Mint error or ?.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
post mint damage, like run over in street a little bit

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
post mint damage, like run over in street a little bit

I agree that the 1962-D Cent is post mint damage! However, the "4" in the Date of the 1974-D Dime appears to been produced by a Die with debris accumulated in the areas of the breaks in the slanted bar of the "4". While interesting, it is a minor error with no real value above face value.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not know there was a 1962 wheat penny. I thought the last mint of wheat pennies was 1958. Correct me if I am wrong. The pic of penny is a wheat penny. Thanks for info.

Whoops, my bad! I paid no attention that you wrote it was a Wheat penny. I was only looking at the Date and it appeared to be mangled "6" but I can see now that it is a mangled "5". Sorry!

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was under the assumption that any proven mint error has value and may be one of a kind. Just wondering if any one else has a similar coin? Thanks.

One of a kind doesn't make a coin valuable. The circumstances around the making of it is what makes it so. For instance, minor struck through grease is common. A struck through die cap is rare. Guess which one has more value?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look over at coppercoins at their info. They have descriptions and examples of almost everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions