1926 Oregon Trail Commemorative

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I sew a 1926 Oregon Trail coin for sale at a local shop , the price was 100 dollars ,
I could not see the coin up close as I was in a hurry but the coin did look shiny [not polished ] but was likely cleaned.

My April price guide lists the[retail] price at $135.00 in AU.

I may give it a closer look tomorrow.

My question if in AU condition but cleaned would this be a good price to pay?
if the coin turns out to be XF BUT CLEANED it would be a no go for me.

Just wanted some opinions , have always loved the design, but would rather own a 1928 0r 1930s coin instead but a 1926 is better than nothing.

Thanks ahead for any replys
Davers:thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It may be just me but if the coin is AU and shows evidence or possible evidence of being cleaned or dipped, I would pass. I assume that you have to pay taxes on the purchase, so you also have to factor that in! I have seen some nice BU problem free Oregon Trail Commemoratives on eBay that went for less. At the current time, the offering is a little slim in that price range and in BU but some will come along.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, I'd pass at that price if it's been cleaned. You're better off buying a better piece at a higher price. You can always sell quality coins....cleaned ones.....not so much.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think it's cleaned, don't buy it! NEVER buy a cleaned or "net grade" coin in a holder. That's my rule!

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be just me but if the coin is AU and shows evidence or possible evidence of being cleaned or dipped, I would pass. I assume that you have to pay taxes on the purchase, so you also have to factor that in! I have seen some nice BU problem free Oregon Trail Commemoratives on eBay that went for less. At the current time, the offering is a little slim in that price range and in BU but some will come along.

Frank

Agreed, I'd pass at that price if it's been cleaned. You're better off buying a better piece at a higher price. You can always sell quality coins....cleaned ones.....not so much.

If you think it's cleaned, don't buy it! NEVER buy a cleaned or "net grade" coin in a holder. That's my rule!

Thanks for the reply's .
This Coin is "Raw" & I could only see it from about 2 ft away (it was in a glass case) & it was closing time so I did not want to make someone open the case and have to watch me stare at the coin through my loop for 5+ min.

I was assuming it was cleaned because of how shiny it looked {could have been the light tho}.

Its only a mile away from my house so I may ride by there later to check it out better.

Plus my left eye has seems not to be as good as it was just 6 months ago (getting old)
this won't help much with my scores in a up coming Shooting match either. lol

One other good thing about buying coins in Ga is no sales tax added.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread