Did I just dig a 1970-S small date Lincoln?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_9358.JPG
    IMG_9358.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_9367.JPG
    IMG_9367.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_9366.JPG
    IMG_9366.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 203

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, the pics are too small to make a determination as to whether it is a "Large Date" or "Small Date" very slim. From what I can tell, it is a "Large Date" but can't be totally certain due to the pics. While the "LIBERTY" appears a little weak (weak LIBERTY is on the diagnostics for a Small Date), it may be so because of wear. The inside curl of the "9" in the Date, appears to be pointing towards the upper right of the "S" Mint Mark and if a Small date, it would be pointing towards the middle to bottom of the vertical bar on the "7". Also, it appears that the tops of the "9", "7" and "0" in the Date took a hit (i.e. damage) that makes them appear lined up horizontally. See the link below for examples of the 1970-S "Large and Small Date" Lincoln Cents.

1970-S 1c Large & Small Date Comparisons

Frank

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, the pics are too small to make a determination as to whether it is a "Large Date" or "Small Date" very slim. From what I can tell, it is a "Large Date" but can't be totally certain due to the pics. While the "LIBERTY" appears a little weak (weak LIBERTY is on the diagnostics for a Small Date), it may be so because of wear. The inside curl of the "9" in the Date, appears to be pointing towards the upper right of the "S" Mint Mark and if a Small date, it would be pointing towards the middle to bottom of the vertical bar on the "7". Also, it appears that the tops of the "9", "7" and "0" in the Date took a hit (i.e. damage) that makes them appear lined up horizontally. See the link below for examples of the 1970-S "Large and Small Date" Lincoln Cents.

1970-S 1c Large & Small Date Comparisons

Frank

Thanks for the insight huntsman and the link! I appreciate it. The coin does have some surface corrosion, but after close examination of it, I have come to the conclusion that it is not a small date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread