What is going on here?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought five silver bars from two different places one came from A lcs and the other one off eBay. Is this normal when I stand them up on and hold the magnet up to them and pull the magnet away the bar falls over. It doesn't necessarily stick to it but it will pull over. I tried it with my cell phone and with something else that was Square to see if maybe was just pulling the item away to make it fall over but it still only falls over with the magnet. Does this mean they are fake?

image-773756463.jpg

image-717751941.jpg

The first picture is the magnet to the bar. Then when I pull it away it falls over. All of them do this.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uh oh.....this don't look good

All 5 weigh the same. 31.2. And I have a cheapo scale... I know they should be 31.1. Need to get to my safe deposit box to try it with an ankle and see if it doesn't same thing because they're all from the mint. Although I do have a Morgan here I'll try that one. It probably won't stand up on end though.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seen articles telling of bad silver bars lately...hope this not the case for you

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it does it with these also and I can't imagine the dimes would ever ever be fake.

image-2716214672.jpg

Must be a physics thing?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so now I'm checking out, cuz I got no clue. maybe you have a bad magnet:dontknow:

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have 18 K acid test I don't use the silver one so I went with the silverplated spoon and silver bar in a dime you can seewhich ones fake!

image-3962972150.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a very good magnet if it will attract silver!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a silver magnet. I keep it beside my wood magnet and my gold magnet.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would bet that each ones contains a very small amount of Nickel and at room temperatures or warmer, Nickel is magnetic. Very interesting test to say the least!

Frank

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's truly .999 pure silver, that would have to be one hell of a magnet.

planerie

May 16, 2011
If it just barely has an attraction it could just be a little less than .999 and have a slight trace of a ferrous metal in it. I am sure when the silver is melted and refined especially in China that they really don't get it to .999. I mean why would they care due to the fact there are no consequences for doing such a thing. I honestly wouldn't buy anything but us minted silver coins just so I know I am going to get what I paid for.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if you're near a big city or not, but find a jeweler/gold buyer that has one of those spectrometors (sp?),
spectro-meter machines. They can stick it in there and the computer will tell you what it is.

My guy down here with one, wouldn't buy a designer enamel ring off me, back when gold peaked.
Said his machine was reading iridium.
Call around, see if someone close has a machine and good luck. Let us know what happens.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
All 5 weigh the same. 31.2. And I have a cheapo scale... I know they should be 31.1. Need to get to my safe deposit box to try it with an ankle and see if it doesn't same thing because they're all from the mint. Although I do have a Morgan here I'll try that one. It probably won't stand up on end though.
Just a thought, but is it possible that you're holding the magnet close enough to the bars that when you pull it away, it creates a tiny vacuum that pulls the bar back slightly, just beyond the tipping point?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought, but is it possible that you're holding the magnet close enough to the bars that when you pull it away, it creates a tiny vacuum that pulls the bar back slightly, just beyond the tipping point?

Most likely.... I have it up there pretty close. Probably in honesty ya bad way to test, I think I scared myself with it !

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's what I originally thought, but I refrained from posting. The bars look good, but the metallic content COULD be off by a little bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions