jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't, but if any are obviously Extra Thick they would most likely be "Fatties"
which were 1859-to 1864 I believe

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're that slick, it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble, unless you could prove it 100%. You could have a 99% certain 1877 and it wouldn't be worth anything.

Asassyn

Jun 17, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you check the back and it has a S, its 1908 or 1909. other than that you could try to get a thin piece of paper. or transfer paper and a pencil.. see if you can get a rub off of it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If using an acids such as Nick-A-Date, Lemon Juice or Vinegar & Salt, I would think that a Bronze Indian Heat Cent (later 1864-1909) with a composition of .950 Copper and .050 Tin and Zinc unlike the earlier Copper-Nickel Indian Head Cents (.880 Copper and .120 Nickel) and Buffalo Nickels (.750 Copper and .250 Nickel) would be more susceptible to rapid corrosion of the surfaces (fields and details/lettering) which would rapidly eat away at the heavier Copper composition and distort any details and or date. This happens to Buffalo Nickels when trying to restore a Date or Mint Mark but to a slower and lesser extent which can quickly be stopped by a quick dip in Acetone then a fresh water rinse. You could try this with the Bronze Indian Cents but due care must be taken to not allow the corrosive action of the acids to eat to fast into the surface or Details/Date of the coins before quickly diluting it.

Frank

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This MIGHT work:

Rub your finger on the greasy part of your brow or nose.

Then lightly rub your finger across the date of the coin. Then try holding it in different types of light at different angles. The oil might bring out the date/details a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread