Best way to clean old coin. One Cent dated 179?

Jonny Boy

Greenie
Feb 16, 2014
Broadway, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found another Big One cent coin. The first one was dated 1838 and cleaned it with product called "Coin Care", worked pretty good. But now I found another Big One Cent and using "Coin Care", but still can't see the date quite clear. I saw the face was different than the 1838. Looked it up on the internet and found based on the face, coin was minted between 1793 to 1799. I now can see 179_.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can clean this 179? coin, can't make out the last number.

Found these coins in my back yard, at about 5-6 inch depth.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ONLY applies to COPPER coins NOT SILVER!
well you can use straight baking soda and a tooth brush. You will either reveal date as I have with some Large Coppers or you may remove all traces of what is there. It depends on how corroded the coin actually is. Now if you are real patient, you can soak in pure olive oil for several years and keep checking every so often (3 months) to see if you now have the date visible. The fact is sometimes the date is destroyed by so many years in the dirt combined with water and minerals in soil. Sometimes no matter what you do - you just cannot see what has been totally destroyed by the elements of time.
Straight baking soda and a tooth brush - wet tooth brush, place a small pile of baking soda on a dish, dab wet tooth brush in soda, scrub coin to remove green patina, rinse and repeat, and keep scrubbing until you see the impression of actual coin and hopefully date - and then STOP! Otherwise, you will risk removing all detail on extremely corroded coins.

Last edited:

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank so much for the information.

you're welcome. This coin was cleaned with baking soda. You could not see what it was nor date. Now you can see 1807 Draped Bust! I wanted to know what the hell I had. *L*

Last edited:

collision

Jul 14, 2014
Temecula
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first rule to coin collecting is you do not clean coins period. Cleaning a coin reduces its value or makes it worthless as a collectible. Vinegar is an acid and will eat the coin and salt is harsh and will scratch the coin as well as eat into it much like sea water does. Best bet leave the coin alone. As for value it can be found in a coin dealers wheat cent box for .05 cents. You clean it will not be worth that.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You can send it to me and I will clean it and if the Date can be identified, I will be sure to let you know what it is!:dontknow:

Frank

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dangerous!

Clean with caution...