Favorite gold coin

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the above suggestions are good choices. I would like to offer my two cents on gold coins. I think at this time any of the denomination of the us gold (eagles) Indians is a real good deal and you can pick those up darn near gold prices currently. I like these as they have the ability to have numismatic value added to them they have currently slumped but if you are holding on to the coin for 5 plus years is not a bad way to go. I also think the saint gaudens are a really good deal as you can pick these up for 1200 - 1300. If you have a gold buying store I would check with these as a lot are sending these coins to refineries and would rather sell them to you as they get more money then sending to a refinery.

Cheers - Koffee

OP
OP
theekman

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok i think the maple is out, down to gold eagle or krug. We'll see how the prices look at local coin shops.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I remember reading a while back that some Krugerrands didn't quite contain the amount of gold that they were supposed to. "I don't often buy gold but when I do it's U.S. Eagles." :cat:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like pre 1933 stuff. Although I have no $10 or $20 ones, I've managed to get 27 of the smaller ones, mostly $5. Mostly paid for under spot~ 8 came really cheap by accident.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i am with Koffee on this, don't buy bullion coins but nice condition older double eagles, that have numismatic value as well as gold value.

S

stefen

Regardless of Country of Origin or gold content, all gold coins are my favorite :thumbsup:

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Templeton-2.5.jpg Templeton_2.5 A.jpg

Templeton-Reid. Any year. 1830 -1849

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the above suggestions are good choices. I would like to offer my two cents on gold coins. I think at this time any of the denomination of the us gold (eagles) Indians is a real good deal and you can pick those up darn near gold prices currently. I like these as they have the ability to have numismatic value added to them they have currently slumped but if you are holding on to the coin for 5 plus years is not a bad way to go. I also think the saint gaudens are a really good deal as you can pick these up for 1200 - 1300. If you have a gold buying store I would check with these as a lot are sending these coins to refineries and would rather sell them to you as they get more money then sending to a refinery.

Cheers - Koffee

You Really think A-lot of Gold Coins get sent off to Refineries?.

I can not see myself doing that unless they were Horribly Mangled .

Davers

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. The purity is already known. No reason to refine.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm usually more of a silver bug myself but I'm strongly considering buying at least one or two of the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coins that go on sale from the US Mint tomorrow. I usually stay away from numismatic coins these days and I haven't bought anything from the Mint in a few years but I'm strongly considering this coin. It's ¾ troy ounce of pure, 24-karat gold and priced at $1240. And Im even more interested in the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar 4 Coin Silver Sets being released later this year for $99.

Anyone else have any interest in this 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin?

OP
OP
theekman

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm usually more of a silver bug myself but I'm strongly considering buying at least one or two of the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coins that go on sale from the US Mint tomorrow. I usually stay away from numismatic coins these days and I haven't bought anything from the Mint in a few years but I'm strongly considering this coin. It's ¾ troy ounce of pure, 24-karat gold and priced at $1240. And Im even more interested in the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar 4 Coin Silver Sets being released later this year for $99. Anyone else have any interest in this 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin?
I didnt even know about that. Ill have to look into it. Thats quite a bit over spot though. Any idea on how many are being made? Im usually not a numismatic guy myself, but this is kind if interesting.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I didnt even know about that. Ill have to look into it. Thats quite a bit over spot though. Any idea on how many are being made? Im usually not a numismatic guy myself, but this is kind if interesting.

It says on the website that: "An initial inventory of 40,000 coins will be available for sale on August 5." And there is a household order limit of 5 for website and phone orders. I have a feeling these will be a hassle trying to buy tomorrow, if not impossible because they will be very popular and likely be a same day sell out unless they decide to mint more. Yes it is quite a bit over spot but that's the way the Mint does things. And these will be extremely popular among collectors so unless they decide to mint a lot more of them they will likely retain and increase in collectable value. Probably a lot of people including the coin guy on HSN who will be flipping these for nice profits. I thought about maybe buying a few and selling all but one and using most of my profits to pay for the one I keep but Im still not sure yet.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Idk if its ok to post a link to the Mint website but here's a pic of the coin:

Attachments

• 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin.png
    2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 78

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They got melted heavily with the gold buying stores in their heyday (lets say the last three years). These gold stores in my area were getting 30 ounces a week in just gold coins. They could not sell them fast enough. Being a cash business holding on to a volatile commodity was not a choice they could make, it was just to risky. This has slowed down this last year as the gold buying stores are collapsing. I do not see american gold coins being melted very often.

I still see old European and Russian coins still getting melted. The ones I see melted are 5 Francs, 20 Francs and most Russian 20 Kopeks as you they have to buy these so close to spot price they just have no choice but to melt them.

You Really think A-lot of Gold Coins get sent off to Refineries?.

I can not see myself doing that unless they were Horribly Mangled .

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread