Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this the other day about inches under..I was real careful not to scratch it...Looks to be in great shape..Can anyone help me with grade and value. ..And is it worth getting graded... Thanks in advance. .George

I Geuss pics would help..lol...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140728_165635.png
    ForumRunner_20140728_165635.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 133
  • ForumRunner_20140728_165651.png
    ForumRunner_20140728_165651.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 124

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
George,

I believe the coin sits right on the teter point between VF-20 and VF30, so details-wise, I believe it is a VF-25. I assume it is a dug coin but no matter whether it was or not, the nicks...scratches and dings will likely be viewed as damage and combine that with the lighter and darker spots on the coin which is evidence of cleaning, most Third Party Grading Services would only Net grade the coin and note the improper cleaning (yeah, I know this sounds bad and especially so, to the person that did the cleaning but it is what they use) and probably the damage as well on the Holder's Label. To be perfectly honest, the coin is not valuable enough to warrant the cost of having it certified and graded. The cost to benefit ratio of which you would hope to gain a significant increase in value by having the coin certified and graded, just isn't there!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George,

I believe the coin sits right on the teter point between VF-20 and VF30, so details-wise, I believe it is a VF-25. I assume it is a dug coin but no matter whether it was or not, the nicks...scratches and dings will likely be viewed as damage and combine that with the lighter and darker spots on the coin which is evidence of cleaning, most Third Party Grading Services would only Net grade the coin and note the improper cleaning (yeah, I know this sounds bad and especially so, to the person that did the cleaning but it is what they use) and probably the damage as well on the Holder's Label. To be perfectly honest, the coin is not valuable enough to warrant the cost of having it certified and graded. The cost to benefit ratio if which you would hope to gain a significant increase in value by having the coin certified and graded, just isn't there!

Frank

Gee Thanks Frank For crushing my Dreams!!!!!! Lol....I thought I was going to be able to retire of this one.....Unlike my 1802 half cent....Thanks Frank...How are you liking ur ctx???

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Gee Thanks Frank For crushing my Dreams!!!!!! Lol....I thought I was going to be able to retire of this one.....Unlike my 1802 half cent....Thanks Frank...How are you liking ur ctx???

Sorry George for crushing your dreams of retiring! LOL!! While there are some valuable Barber Half Dollars probably out there to be found or purchased, it is doubtful that any of them would be valuable enough to sell and allow someone to retire and that includes even high grade MS specimens. Now of course, if you can live on Rice and water the rest of your life, then maybe you can. I have been too busy with selling off my' small business inventory on eBay to get out with my' CTX or even really learn a lot about it. However, I hope to get out there soon with it and hope to find some Gold nuggets.

Frank

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George,
I think your coin is in better shape than what Frank said. I sold a coin to a guy who said it was in VF shape and it wasn't even close to that, and the guy ran a coin store! From looking at the descriptions in Redbook, I'd say your coin is in AU-55 to MS-60 shape, valued between $350 and $500.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I won't argue one opinion over another on the grade but keep in mind that the Redbook is a reference book of information on U.S. Coinage as in the Series, denominations, mintages, values (at time of publication), special productions, some experimental coins, the minting process and other tidbits. However, while it gives information on grades and grading of coins which is especially helpful to amateurs and newbies, it is in no way to be considered an authority on grades and grading. I may have underestimated the overall details grade on the coin but I have a bad habit of considering damage and anything else which will pull the grade down. With that being said, it is possible that one Grader might grade the coin as an EF-40 but it is doubtful that any Grader would ever grade the coin as an AU-55 to MS-60. However, a Seller might overgrade the coin in an attempt to get more for it.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Borderline XF and not worth having it slabbed unless it came back clean and you plan on selling it online. It's likely it will come back without a clean grade so a waste of money IMO. Nice coin though! I'd love to find one that nice!

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the exact words from the About Uncirculated section:
"Slight trace of wear above forehead, leaf tips, and cheek, and on eagle's head, tail, and wing tips."

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As most Coin Lovers Know -Grading is Subjective.

Imo I would give it ( DG XF 40) or Daves Grade XF 40 , .

The main distractions that I can see in the pics are the Rim Dents & all the other Nicks ( mostly on the Obverse).

It would be a Coin I would love to Have Dug, & Would be Proud to own it even if purchased.

IMO With Barber Coins - If you can Read all the letters in Liberty & the Reverse Has A " Full Readable Motto" I'm Happy.
but
That,s just me. Nice Half

Davers

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a lot more wear on the coin than what appears in the pics that George posted, so I edited the pics in Photobucket and have posted large versions below. I tried highlighting the major areas of wear in one color and them the lesser areas of wear in another color but too many Ads interferred with the editing.

Vinos 1911 Barber Half 1.jpg Vinos 1911 Barber Half 2.jpg

Last edited:

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seems to be very little wear on the back. I have seen pictures in coin world magazine of morgan dollars with many spots but great petina and still graded uncirculated. On the front I can see very few scratches, and like the redbook description said, there is little wear on the coin.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go on ebay and search barber half dollar under coins and paper money, and then go to the side and check under AU-50, one of the first coins that comes up is a barber half dollar graded AU-50 by PCGS that I wouldn't even grade VF! (Since I am on vacation I can not post a link.)

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinsareawesome,
I understand where you are coming from. Redbook used to be my main source for grading coins. Remember that Redbook only provides a very simple description of all the grades. It doesn't tell you how rim dings or pitting, for instance, affect the grading. Toning and color are especially subjective. This coin, however, has extensive environmental damage. I would guess your grade spot on when it went in the ground but the years of being buried have affected this coin.

With all that said, none of us have the coin in hand. This is a hobby. If Vino wants to know the grade, he should send it in.

OO

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Borderline XF and not worth having it slabbed unless it came back clean and you plan on selling it online. It's likely it will come back without a clean grade so a waste of money IMO. Nice coin though! I'd love to find one that nice!

Nice coin George! I agree with the assessment quoted above.

To the guy who said it is MS60 and "He should send that coin in to get a professional grade"... Please consider what you tell people when you offer advice. I know this is coming off sounding very harsh but if you don't know what you are talking about, it is irresponsible to give other people bad advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions