Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how to clean. I got one in change the other day!

OP
OP
newtector

newtector

Apr 19, 2014
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Turns out it's a steel wheatie! Here are pics, any idea on value?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-943131495.jpg
    image-943131495.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 108
  • image-4092893761.jpg
    image-4092893761.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 120

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Less than 10 cents, sorry to say, ok maybe a quarter in that its an "S" mint...and as far as cleaning? No clue...how about...wait for it, STEEL WOOL!

OP
OP
newtector

newtector

Apr 19, 2014
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Haha thanks Dave, would cleaning it ruin the value....value haha!!!! Maniacal laughter!!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the coin has very little value with the exception to yourself, clean it and store it away for your kids. Steel Cents are tough and other than removing the Zinc coating on them, it really is hard to do damage to them by simple and even more involved methods of cleaning them. Rust and sometimes heavy corrosion are the biggest issues you will have with most of them. You can and I have cleaned them with a dremel and the small wire wheel that comes with most dremel sets. This will remove the rust that can't be removed by pretty much anything else and it will also polish the coin. However, since it removes most of not all of the Zinc coating, you will either have to re-coat the coin with a Zinc solution or paint or oil the coin then seal it up. A friend of mine, Tom purchases Steel Cents then polishes them probably with Brasso, then 2x2's them and sells them at Flea Markets. While we always advise to never clean and/or polish a coin, it seems that with Flea Marketers, it matters very little as Tom always sells out of every Steel Cent he places on his' tables at the Flea Market.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread