image-1363846040.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 135

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is what most coin folks call a retained De-Lamination Error or Piece. Coins with De-Lamination Errors are collectible and have value but a coin with a retained De-Lamination is usually very collectible and they are more sought after. This is especially true with Uncirculated Coins such as your's appears to be! As values can and will be all over the place with such coin errors, one must do a lot of research before presenting such a coin for sale. While not extremely valuable, many collectors would want such an Error Coin and especially since it appears to be Uncirculated. I am only guessing but such a coin could fetch anywhere from $10 to $50 but possibly more if the right collector comes along. Care needs to be taken to not dislodge the De-Lamination piece, seal the coin in a 2x2 and make sure to staple it tightly and this may need a few more staples than the 3 staples normally used.

Frank

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. It's really cool that you take the time to give such a detailed explanation. I only paid a couple of bucks for it on eBay. I'm going to take your advice and put a few extra staples just to be safe. Thanks again!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I just looked at the Auction where it sold and can't believe that it brought so little! However, with eBay, something as such never ceases to amaze me as with time, eBay destroys the value of anything collectible and especially so, if the same or similar items are sold frequently. Coins, stamps, Baseball cards and many other items that were once valued in the hundreds of dollars or more, are now being picked up at pennies on the dollar and can be attributed to not only eBay but bulk Buyer-Resellers that purchase thousands of items at mere pennies each and offer them on eBay at extremely low prices.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not too sure if it's the same thing, but a lamination error for copper Lincolns is about $3 in Redbook.

Although it sounds odd but Lamination Error and De-Lamination Error are somewhat the same but at the same time, different. Thus they generally have different values and a De-Lamination Error is generally more valuable than a Lamination Error! A Lamination Error is just that, where you have cracks in the surface of the coin but they are still intact and have not peeled away or been separated from the coin. A De-Lamination Error is when a Lamination piece begins to separate but is retained either being held by a small piece of metal from where it separated or it is stuck to the coin or in some cases, struck into the coin (i.e. Struck Through Lamination Error). I will point out that the values of any and all of these Errors most often depends on the denomination, the Series and how significant the error is (i.e. sometimes larger, considered a nicer error and/or the WOW factor). Also, the Redbook is somewhat of a guide that doesn't always reflect what the coin market does or has done in terms of current and past sales.

Frank

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Cent..

Dang Huntsman53
You are a wealth of Numismatic Knowledge .

I learn Something new on many of your posts.

Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread