To Clean or not to Clean Silver Coins..That is The Question.........

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm beginning to get a nice little collection of silver coins since I've taken up metal detecting again, specifically Washington quarters and Roosevelt Dimes.
None are key dates thus far.

Most came out of nasty hard clay and several are pretty badly tarnished.

Here's an example, specifically, the dimes:

3 Silver Day August 24, 2014 001.JPG

So my question is, should I clean them?? If so, how do I go about it in the best way without destroying whatever numismatic value they may hold??

Thanks in advance.

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaning your coins is a surefire way of destroying the surface as well as decreasing any numismatic value. Don't do it. I have never cleaned any of the hammered silver or Roman coins I have ever found - apart from a gentle washing away of dirt under the tap. The original patina is all important. If your preference is for shiny things, then destroy the coins by all means.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll play devils advocate here... the real questions should be:

1. Are these particular coins valuable enough that cleaning them would significantly reduce their value?
2. Do you intend (at any point in the future) to sell them?

A 1948 quarter in circulated / dug / unslabbed condition might bring $10-15 on a great day. Gently cleaning it might reduce the value... let's just say it reduces it by half. The question for you is whether $7.50 is a loss you are willing to take. Also, all of this hinges on the fact that you are intending to sell the coin.

Personally, I don't sell my coins, and I have no intention of doing so in the future. I don't have a lot of money invested and I do not have any coins of significant value ($100+ is significant to me). I like to show them off and take joy in completing collections. Therefore, I usually clean my coins... especially any common dates that I dig produced in the last 100 years.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaning your coins is a surefire way of destroying the surface as well as decreasing any numismatic value. Don't do it. I have never cleaned any of the hammered silver or Roman coins I have ever found - apart from a gentle washing away of dirt under the tap. The original patina is all important. If your preference is for shiny things, then destroy the coins by all means.

I never clean my silver coins beyond rinsing the dirt off or even soaking them in some dawn beforehand. In this case, the dimes in question aren't worth more than a few bucks. This is why I ask. The one on the right is particularly tarnished. Oh, and I wouldn't ever clean an ancient silver for any reason.

It doesn't particularly bother me that they're so tarnished. I was basically just wondering how to go about cleaning them without harming whatever value they may hold or if that's possible. If it reduces the value I'll leave them alone. I'll probably never sell them but I will pass them and my entire coin collection down to my kids eventually; hopefully not any time in the near future.

I definitely wouldn't want them super shiny or in "like new" condition, just readable. Also, as I mentioned above, these particular coins are not key dates.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I respect your point of view, blindbug!

As do I yours, Mr. Winter!

Garrett, you might try soaking the coins in acetone (pure acetone, not the polish remover), rinse with water, dab dry. If the tarnish that you see is organic in nature, the acetone is likely to loosen it so that it can be removed. Acetone should not act as a 'shiner' for your coins, but might help to clear away the obviously foreign material that you see.

As a side note, make sure that you educate your kids that the coins are not cleaned on purpose... otherwise you might hand them down and they end up on the buffer wheel!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a side note, make sure that you educate your kids that the coins are not cleaned on purpose... otherwise you might hand them down and they end up on the buffer wheel!

Don't worry, they're already pretty well educated on collectibles. I've been breaking out my "treasures" and showing them once in a while since they were little kids.

Thanks for the tips.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean them up good enough to read the date, mint mark, and approximate condition, with some soap and water. If they're common dates or have no particular value over melt, clean them to whatever level you wish. Key dates or one in particularly nice condition, I would leave alone after the basic cleanup.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clean them up good enough to read the date, mint mark, and approximate condition, with some soap and water. If they're common dates or have no particular value over melt, clean them to whatever level you wish. Key dates or one in particularly nice condition, I would leave alone after the basic cleanup.

Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines but just wanted a few opinions from those in the know. Two (or more) heads are better than one.

I'll definitely leave the quarter alone. It has a pretty big scuff on the left side anyway.

I was more concerned about the dimes. They're definitely the two dirtiest silvers I have.
That clay is really nasty stuff. I'm lucky to have found them as deep as they were and as hard as that clay was.

One of the dimes was over 9" down and tightly packed in the clay under wet sand.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The coinshop I visit is not crazy about dug ones but uncleaned would be the way to sell them to numismatists.. I don,t worry about the future value of my digs beyond junk price,unless special dates or coins. Some get bumped in electrolysis then cleaned with wet baking soda. Yes pretty shiny silver. My oldest looks great that way but had scratches from a rough life spent long underground. The patina counts. As found going to be best value,usually. Cleaned is a dirty word for collectors.
One pile is cleaned beyond water and dishsoap,the other is not. Some dug some not,l.o.l..
IMG_0024.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coinshop I visit is not crazy about dug ones but uncleaned would be the way to sell them to numismatists.. I don,t worry about the future value of my digs beyond junk price,unless special dates or coins. Some get bumped in electrolysis then cleaned with wet baking soda. Yes pretty shiny silver. My oldest looks great that way but had scratches from a rough life spent long underground. The patina counts. As found going to be best value,usually. Cleaned is a dirty word for collectors.
One pile is cleaned beyond water and dishsoap,the other is not. Some dug some not,l.o.l..
View attachment 1043809

I can definitely see the difference.
They do look pretty cool when you can see the age on them but my dime is just downright ugly. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just on the back.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A 1948 quarter in circulated / dug / unslabbed condition might bring $10-15 on a great day. Gently cleaning it might reduce the value... let's just say it reduces it by half. The question for you is whether $7.50 is a loss you are willing to take. Also, all of this hinges on the fact that you are intending to sell the coin."

Can you tell me where I can get $10-15 for 1948 circulated quarters?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are not planning on selling them clean them up. If you might sell one day just leave them alone. I dump my dug silver in an old cast iron bank so obviously its not about value to me. :occasion14:

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm lucky enough to get some really nice "junk silver" quarters and dimes from my local coin shop. They're mainly 1964's but in good shape. They're pretty dirty when I get them so, sometimes I'll line a glass dish with tin foil. Ill put the coins in the dish on the tin foil on one side and baking soda and a little salt on the other side. Then I'll pour hot water in the bowl. It usually cleans the coins up nicely without scratch ing up the surface of the coins.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm lucky enough to get some really nice "junk silver" quarters and dimes from my local coin shop. They're mainly 1964's but in good shape. They're pretty dirty when I get them so, sometimes I'll line a glass dish with tin foil. Ill put the coins in the dish on the tin foil on one side and baking soda and a little salt on the other side. Then I'll pour hot water in the bowl. It usually cleans the coins up nicely without scratch ing up the surface of the coins.

I'm familiar with that method but I've avoided it for old coins. It does such a nice job, they don't look old anymore.

I'm more concerned with the really heavy tarnish on those Rosies and whether or not they should be lightly cleaned.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
All 3 are only worth their silver value. Do whatever you want with them that makes you happiest. It wont affect value in any way.

NJSouth

Aug 22, 2014
Vineland NJ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said JerseyBen.... I watch the Silver market everyday. Don't know enough about the coin value dates/parts but I know the silver values by the hour. The silver market has been killing me lately but its a great time to buy/find and should only be going up!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm beginning to get a nice little collection of silver coins since I've taken up metal detecting again, specifically Washington quarters and Roosevelt Dimes.
None are key dates thus far.

Most came out of nasty hard clay and several are pretty badly tarnished.

Here's an example, specifically, the dimes:

View attachment 1043671

So my question is, should I clean them?? If so, how do I go about it in the best way without destroying whatever numismatic value they may hold??

Thanks in advance.

The coins shown ,Have no Numismatic Valve.
but
If they are key date , or AU Examples of Early U.s. Silver ie, 1932 Wash, Quarters "D or S mint marks" All WLH's & IMO Certain Merc's & all SLQ, & Barber Types Should not be Cleaned if their condition is above G.
Just my Opinion

But what it really all comes down to is ,' Their your coin's so do with them as you wish.

Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said JerseyBen.... I watch the Silver market everyday. Don't know enough about the coin value dates/parts but I know the silver values by the hour. The silver market has been killing me lately but its a great time to buy/find and should only be going up!

Lets hope your right on the Silver Market only going up.

p.s. My Dug Silver coins (All) Get a Good soaking in water , then 'under running water' Very softly "wisked" with the softest Make-up Brush I can Find. I hate to do this but the dirt has to come off somehow.

I learned the hard way 15 years ago , with a 1903 O Barber Dime in XF that I thought might look better after a little Tarnex & a Q-tip....WRONG.

Davers

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've decided that I may try and clean one of the dimes using the baking soda method BUT; not until I find a few more (how's that for optimism??).
I just don't want to mess up my first two Rosies and regret it. I'll just consider the tarnish a "character" enhancement.

That's the plan. In the meantime, I hunt for more and as the saying goes,.....
"Seek and Ye SHALL FIND".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread