Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being New Jersey, I would think virtually the whole state is ripe for pickings going back to the late 1600s, even after being "picked over." Not that you can do anything about whole areas being cemented or built over, but the rural,forested areas must STILL surely have stuff there. But the trick may be (as my far more successful detecting friend always tells me) getting to the "old dirt." That's why he often brings a shovel and digs until he believes he is at the 'old' layer of dirt (below all the bottle caps and tabs) and THEN he starts detecting. And if you can get to a beach right after a big storm, that too is always a good strategy.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Secrets of a site finder.

Step 1) Use Google Maps to scan your area. If it is a built up area, look for areas of woods, fields, and generally accessible parks.

Step 2) Compare those Google map areas to Old Topographic maps (which show location of buildings) and old Aerial Photos. Search on "Historic Aerials" and you will find a nice site for doing this.

Step 3) Obtain and use copies of old maps in your area. Your local library or historical society will have them. Chances are excellent that most of the major roads (other than highways) that are in your today, were there for a couple hundred of years.

Step 4) Find location of homes, taverns, toll collections, churches, etc... that used to be on your map... but now show up as empty fields/woods/parks.

Step 5) Hunt.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image-1319832611.jpg

Start with that reservation. Stay close to lakes streams and rivers.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I very much appreciate everyone's tips. I will incorporate your strategies and wisdom into my detecting.

Cheers!

-Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread