1876 Indian head - What condition and what value?

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac (w/ Garrett Pro Pointer)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought between "What's it worth" and "Coins" this would be the better thread since it was coin specific.

Just found this about 6" under, just curious what it's worth... Google searches told me could be $20 and up since it's a pre 1878 but highly dependent on the condition. I don't know how to grade coins so any help is appreciated.

I didn't finish cleaning it, I was going to wait and see if I should get the dirt off with mildly soapy water or leave it. Should I get the dirt off?

Also, the back looks like it will be the same detail from the plants popping through but it's pretty much covered in dirt right now so I didn't take a good pic of that. Let me know if you need the back side as well.
_MG_1780-4 (Cropped).jpg

Last edited:
S

stefen

Place it in catsup for 10 minutes or so, then wash off the residue...

Will look like a newly minted coin...if thats what you want...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO

If the Reverse is as good as the obverse I would just Soak it in Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a Couple Days and See if the Rest
of the dirt will come off.

I would not do the Lemon Juice , or any other highly Acidic Treatments.
Unless like Stefen said you want a Shiny / Corroded Coin.

The front does not look to be that pitted/ corroded except around the rim.

If all the dirt came off front & back and only the edge looked as it does ' I would likely pay around 20 Dollars for it '
cause I like the 1876 Date.
but that's just me.

Great Coin
Davers

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only cleaning I would do with the coin at the moment is to soak it in hot soapy water and gently remove any remaining dirt with a soft bristled toothbrush. The wear is minimal but the corrosion (especially at the rim) is pretty substantial. Without the corrosion, it would probably grade in the VF-XF range. There is no way you'll get that sort of money for it however. It's pretty subjective as to how much it would lower the value. If you plan on keeping it, who cares? If you plan on selling it, don't clean off any of the patina. Take it down to your local coin shop and get a quote. Using that as a base, check for similar coins that have sold on E-bay to further guestimate it's value. If you have excellent feedback as a seller on E-bay, list it and see what it brings.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Based on 1 pic alone, it is XF/AU details. To PROPERLY clean it do the following:

-place in ROOM TEMP hydrogen peroxide for a few minutes, then put coin on paper towel and dip a q-tip in the peroxide and roll the q-tip over the coin surfaces to loosen dirt
-repeat step 1 again
-then dry the coin and place it in a jar of olive oil for a few days
-remove the coin and take a q-tip and roll it over the coin surface to remove any additional dirt
-repeat the olive oil process if necessary, then pat the coin dry of any oil and you are all set

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread