Enough wheat to open a bakery...

TonyNJ

Greenie
Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a bit but would love some advise. When I was 10 or 12 (in 1976 / 78) I used to roll my dads pennies and remember seeing all the wheat pennies mixed in. For whatever reason, he never cashed in the pennies. He passed away a few years ago and I found the rolls. After unrolling them I have 7.5 pounds of Wheat pennies. My question is: What do I do with them? Am I correct in assuming that it would be worth it to sort through them?

Thanks,

Tony

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet Tony. I'd go through them and check the dates and mint marks to start with. Any that might have some value based on what you can see in most coin books would rate further investigation. Common dates aren't worth much unless they're in a high grade. Rare dates can be worth a lot even in the lower grades. You can look most of the info you need online or you can buy a few books that will give you that info.

OP
OP
T

TonyNJ

Greenie
Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, now I just need a good magnifying glass and 20 year old eyes.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good resource is the The Lincoln Cent Resource Key Date Guide site. Don't just look for key dates, there are also some double die varieties that are worth quite a bit that are easy to spot. That being said, take your time, use a magnifying glass and a loupe ($10 on Amazon) to really see the details.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had about that much in extra wheat pennies and sold them for $9.55 with $4.00 shipping. Shipping ended up being $13 and all I got was a measly $.55!:BangHead:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread