Sell, keep or have regraded?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought these back in the 2008 recession. They came up on eBay buy it now for $199 free shipping. So I bought them they were shipped to my house for free. I know ICG is not great company so would it be better to have them regraded or should I just put them away as is or sell them?

image-2746085500.jpg

image-2337493540.jpg

image-3596750136.jpg

I would only get the two regraded the error ones the rest , who cares! Thanks for your advice !

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
I wouldnt bother regrading... You will only end up spending 40-50 that will not increase their resale value... Error collectors collect the variety, the grade or grading house is pretty much irrelevent if the coin is declared genuine. Grade wise, I would expect 1-2 points grade inflation from IGC versus PCGS, NGC or ANACS...

Regards,
Alan Morgan
Pres.
Greater Houston Coin Club

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I will say that if you do plan on selling them, I would shoot to get them in PCGS slabs for max resale value. Disclaimer: You will need to have them inspected by someone who knows what they are doing (probably in person) to determine if the actual grade is worthy of this effort. That ICG grade may actually be accurate I just cant tell based on a single pic alone (and few people could).

Despite what the poster above says, the grade will absolutely determine sale price ONCE you get past a certain grade (around MS65).

If you just want to sell them as error coins (without taking into consideration grade) then I would just leave them as is.

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
The bottom line is... Will you recover the additional $40 to $50 in cost that PCGS or NGC will charge for error attribution? I have the experience of knowing hundreds of dealers and several local active submitters and appraisers who would give exactly the same advice.

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
While I agree that PCGS certified coins do sell for more, Their grading is often more critical. Your MS64 IGC coin may turn into a MS61 or AU58 PCGS coin. Keep in mind that graders only spend 3-4 seconds per coin to form their opinion of a grade. Sending your coin 3-4 times will often result in 3-4 different grades. I know this by experience. If you bulk submit through a dealer, you will be looking at a minimum of $20 per coin with a long turn-around time due to the lower priority the coins get due to the lower pricing tier. If you catch a grader who just had his coffee and his day is going right, you might get your PCGS MS64 coin... This may increase the value to $140 for the low leaf and $190 on the high leaf... These values are price guide values that may not reflect on what a dealer will pay you for the coins... They reflect recent auction sales where you might expect to pay a 15 percent or higher premium to sell your coin... Check out greysheet bid on the coin to see what MS61-64 price is... This usually reflects what dealers will pay for your coins.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ICG has made some great improvements on their grading and is on the rise in the coin community. That being said it is not recognized yet on par with the other three. As of late I have avoided using PCGS on almost all my coins. There grading time is way out of whack, I pay for the 30 day and have coins coming back as long as 6 weeks. I called them to let them know I should get a refund on the price as I paid for the expedited grading. This fell on deaf ears and I was given a script reply and sent on my way.

I am currently using NGC and it has not weakened my bottom line. I still send all DIMPLS to PCGS no other grading service come close to this.

as far as grading I sometimes send coins in to ANACS and if they grade high I will send them to NGC or PCGS (if 66 or over). To be honest they grade extremely close if not exactly the same as NGC and PCGS my sample size is not huge but well over a couple hundred.

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread