Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months back I bought a friends coin collection. And there were a ton of buffalo nickels with it. One of them confuses me though. It's a 1936. And as shiny as a brand new quarter and very well defined. Could this be a proof? From what I read the proofs aren't marked?

Here are pics of the front and back. And with a normal buffalo nickel

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, look at the high points. There's not as much detail, but it's shinier. Definitely plated.

The one that bugs me is the Steel Cents. Someone went and plated a bunch of them so they didn't look all 'zinc'y and now some really nice detail lincolns are coated.

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
One quick way to tell a proof coin is to look at the rim. If there are beveled edges on the rim, it is most likely a circulation strike. Perfect 90degree edges are an indicator of Proof striking. I agree on the chrome plating... The coin also shows wear prior to the plating.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the help. Figured something was off with the coin. There were 4 or 5 of the plated coins in the collection. The pennies are easy to tell when they are plated but the nickel had me thinking. Now I need to sort through the 50 or 60 buffs to check the edges lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread