1909S VDB, thoughts? Real? Grade? Value?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man!!..That thing is a Beauty for sure, I hope for your sake it is the real deal. How did you get this coin if you dont mind me asking?

OP
OP
B

buncle

Aug 5, 2011
I'll tell the whole story in a bit after I get some responses. I don't want to sway anyone either way on their thoughts about the coin with the story.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say this must be true!!! You've been here over 3 years, and as I type this, you've only made 9 posts!

When I looked at the first pictures, I thought the mint mark was suspect. But then in the other pictures, my doubt was removed! It's all in the lighting, and thank heavens you had the multiple pics.

Appears to be REAL to me! Great find however you got it!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I would question is why is it so clean and not more brown? I sure hope you have the real deal.

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good closeup of the mint mark. They have gotten very good at adding a letter to an otherwise no mintmark coin. Remember, a 1909 VDB penny is of no great value. With an added "S", that would be a game changer. The mint mark needs to be inspected under a microscope to be sure. One more thing. They will sometimes drill a small hole in the rim of a coin and "raise" the metal to create a mint mark. Look closely around the rim area.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mintmark doesnt look fake to me, it looks like the lighting is weird

sdsdsdsdsds.png

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I am still very suspicious of it. I do not trust how uneven it is. It is much thicker on the bottom. It very well may be real, but I would want to get papers on it.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still very suspicious of it. I do not trust how uneven it is. It is much thicker on the bottom. It very well may be real, but I would want to get papers on it.

I agree..if your spending what that coins worth, it better be certified

OP
OP
B

buncle

Aug 5, 2011
I took these at an angle some to try to get the lighting correct, so that may be throwing some people off. I plan on sending it in to either PCGS or NGC. It looks like if I sign up for their membership I can get 6-8 coins graded for around $25 each. I also have a 1801 Large Cent with the 3 errors on it that I will be sending it. Thanks for all who replied and I will try to get new photos up, plus obviously report back once I send it in for grading.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Everything looks correct, except for the 2nd 9. Hopefully it's just the lighting but it looks more flat than pointed.

Maybe not though, I looked at the other pics and it looks better in those.

Last edited:

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a microscope and can get us a good clear close up of the mint mark I could identify without a doubt if its real or not. If this coin is indeed fake its a really good one, it has all the things others most often over look take a look at reverse all genuine 1909 S have whats called a shallow N.

FAKE
1909faleunited.jpg

REAL
1909realunited.jpg

Also on your coin as well as genuine coins on the reverse the dot in between the D and the B will be in the center and not to one side.

FAKE
1909falevdb.jpg

REAL
1909realvdb.jpg

So after looking over your coin good its looking like you may have indeed a genuine coin but the last thing i like to look for is the die chip and that's why we would need the close up pics of the mint mark. I will also say that most of the real 1909 S VDB coins have already been slabbed making the ratio of fakes very very high and is why i seldom give these coins a second look.

90-svdb-die-chip-jpg.362146

Most if not all this information was learned from a member of a different forum and i simply cannot take credit so i must absolutely link to the more in depth guide here. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/how-to-tell-if-your-1909-s-v-d-b-is-real.78043/

Last edited:

Buckeyedon

Jul 19, 2014
S.W. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000 DI, Bounty Hunter Big Bud, Garrett GMH CX111
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On 1909 VDB S coins the top of the S is higher than the end of the tail on the first nine on the horizontal. And the S tills slightly to the right. On all the examples I have seen the original planchets have a wood gain type look and can still be seen though the flow lines. I would have it looked at by a local reputable coin dealer before sending it to be graded. It may come back in a body bag money wasted. Just my two cents worth. Life member ANA 6041

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread