Hobo Nickel and Magicians Coin

senecalisa

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
Came across these today, hobo nickel 1916 with kaiser on front. And 1926 penny with 1919 Mercury dime on back.

image-1493683236.jpg

image-826787609.jpg

image-3731128329.jpg

image-2362650946.jpg

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very cool finds.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that hobo nickel is awesome and worth some bucks

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool coins! Congrats!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like very much to know how you "came across" these coins - The Hobo nickel is extraordinary to say the least !!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like very much to know how you "came across" these coins - The Hobo nickel is extraordinary to say the least !!!

I agree ! It is obvious the Nickle wasn't dug , and
please don't take this the wrong way. with the Magic Marker or Paint Mustache,
etc. I'm guessing a "Modern carving" ?

the
Magicians Coin

Maybe / Maybe Not dug and cleaned. but I'm guessing Purchase ? Also ?

I'm Trying to Find out IF they actually belong in Today's Finds or Coins.

were these Purchases, or ?

Last edited:

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
The hobo nickle is really neat! The date and condition of the coin, along with the subject matter and style of engraving suggest an original hobo nickle! Quite a find. looks like a non dug coin, to bad. I believe a dug hobo nickle would be a first on treasure net. I cant recall ever seeing one. Jay

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever or where ever they came from, I like em, Look cool to me.

OP
OP
senecalisa

senecalisa

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
These coins are part of a collection that has been over 75 years in the making. No they are not dug coins and no they are not modern.

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These coins are part of a collection that has been over 75 years in the making. No they are not dug coins and no they are not modern coin. They are simply an old hobo coin and a magicians coin that I chose to share. Do they belong in today's finds? Maybe, maybe not. But if today were the first day I laid eyes on it would it not be a "today's find"? And does it really matter?? Thanks and sorry.
We are still interested in the story of how you acquired them. Please share if you wouldn't mind. Thanks!

OP
OP
senecalisa

senecalisa

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
From the early 1920's until 1962 my grandfather worked on the railroad. He would come home with all sorts of change over the years. Mom and grandma would go through it and find goodies.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh..and Cool coins by the way...i will try not to ask you anything about them

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like some areas on the Hobo nickel have been inked or painted ? If your Grandfather found that back in the sixties or earlier ,
that would pretty much guarantee that it is a "first generation Hobo nickel - since they didn't start the regeneration of these till the 1980's
I think . The fact that it depicts the Kaiser and dates to 1916 (WWI) makes me think it's the real deal (with the family history provided)
can you tell us if indeed there is some dark coloration on the coin - or does it just appear that way in your pic ? The first generation
of these nickels have an aggressive collector following , you should be able to get some idea about this with a bit of online research .

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay - I too keep looking forward to the day we see a Hobo nickel up there on the Banner ! I think a dug up Hobo would make it too !!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay - I too keep looking forward to the day we see a Hobo nickel up there on the Banner ! I think a dug up Hobo would make it too !!

A dug one may get the votes & make it, If there is enough Detail left to Show up
on the Banner Pics. Sad thing is Nickels don't come out of the ground looking good.

OP
OP
senecalisa

senecalisa

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
It may be just the way the light hits it why it looks dark or painted I'm not sure. Looking at some of the other Hobo nickels on Hobonickels.org some have that darker areas especially the ones they call "Snidley" http://www.hobonickels.org/QuickID/snidely.html
I'm not real familiar with hobo nickels and have done limited research on it as I just put my hands on it last night for the first time. Given the fact that my grandfather worked on the RR I'm guessing that's where it came from. Thanks for looking and have a great day.

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
Argentium, yes, i would be thrilled to see a dug hobo nickle! With the thousands of hours of detecting the guys do, i'm a little surprised one has never turned up. Heck, seems like at one time or another, they have found everything else that i can imagine! jay

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
Anyway, on this hobo nickle, i had the feeling i had seen the work of this early carver before. I started looking around and sure enough, found another one of his coins on the original hobo nickle site. The work is exactly the same, Same subject matter, style. Everything! Except this time its on a high grade 1913 nickle. The hobo nickle guys say his work is superb. And of course i completely agree! Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread