Help w/ Morgan - real or fake

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Can you guys take a look at this coin and the other 1888 Morgans from this seller? The bottom bar on 'L' in 'Pluribus' looks wrong. I asked because I'm now in possession of two of them. One weighed 26.7g and the other 26.4g but the toning on them all look the same and there are no bag marks or nicks on the background surface. All opinions are appreciated. I think this makes the 2nd counterfeit in a row from ebay. Assuming people here confirm I'll report to ebay.

Thanks.

1888 Morgan Silver Dollar Very Fine No Reserve | eBay

seller is cashbulliondoc

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know whether it is real or fake, but why bother with a common Morgan in this condition, especially for $26 dollars?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I can kinda see what you mean about that L and some of the other lettering too. And esp that first U in Unum....that looks really odd. Hopefully some of the Morgan coin experts here can give you their opinions. Maybe it would be a good idea to get an expert coin in hand opinion from your LCS as well. And if it is counterfeit I'd definitely contact the seller and ebay about this. Looks like its a relatively new seller too with only 51 feedbacks so he doesn't have a long feedback track record as a reputable seller. He is clearly selling this as a real silver Morgan dollar so if it is fake he needs to be banned from ebay for selling counterfeit coins. Good luck.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Only thing that would make me suspect from this seller is the fact that he buys from china alot, I looked at his feedback from sellers and then noticed a couple were in China.

And Everyone I saw he sold was an 1888.. And he obviously pulls the "Roll of Coins with Awesome Enders" BS

Its funny, because you can look at what he's bought in the past, and its where he is making his "Junk Drawer" and Rolls of Coins from....what a tard

Here is a side by side comparision shot of one of my legit 1888 Morgans (RED) to the one on his auction (BLUE)

ssssss.jpg

It doesnt stand right out to be fake, I bought a few fake ones awhile back to compare to reals ones that I buy. The fake and real weigh the same, but the fake is a little thicker

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have one you know for SURE is real, put one of his coins side by side, and see if you can slide another coin across it with no problem.

I have a few Morgans that vary in weight, but I know they are real, my grandfather had them from the 60s

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The toning looks goofy to me and no bag marks at all.......hum.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Just looking at the poor lettering in "AMERICA" shows me it is a copy. Try to get your money back asap.
Good Luck,
Phil

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm no expert,but the lettering is suspect. I'd take it to a local shop and see what they say. Then contact ebay. GL

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking fake. I'd also be careful going forward buying any raw Morgans on eBay unless you have confidence in the seller beforehand. There are many fakes that come from China, it's allowed there by law.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread