State land

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong forum, but laws depend on the state, and sometimes even the city / county. Your question is really general, but you will have a tough time getting permission to detect government owned properties (at any level of government). Those who ask are usually told no whether it is actually legal to detect on the property or not (the government worker doesn't want to say yes because they are unaware of a specific law saying metal detecting is OK). Unfortunately, you would need to do the research to find the legal right to detect, and in most cases that law doesn't specifically exist (granting the right, that is)... so then it falls into the gray area of there being no specific law against it, but not knowing if that means it is ok or not (because it would fall under some other law regarding destruction of government property, etc.).

In short: if you ask, you will (more than likely) get told no. If you detect without asking, you MIGHT get thrown off the property (or worse, but usually not worse) and/or your finds confiscated.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I basically agree. If it's illegal, it will be posted somewhere in the law governing that land. If metal detecting is not mentioned by name, why ask and bring it to their attention? I'd look up the rules myself and if there isn't a prohibition, I'd just do it. Highly unlikely that you would get the book thrown at you on a first offense.... they'll just tell you to leave. If detecting is prohibited, getting special permission would be virtually impossible, unless you're someone special or know someone who is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread