Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All.
Question; Have you purchased a membership to PCGS or NGC or other to have coins "slabbed"- graded?
If so, which grading company do you see as the most reputable, and why? PCGS and NGC both offer initial memberships for approximately $200. A few "free" grading's are included.
I have two local trustworthy coin dealers that charge $30 per coin per grading, although, I will avoid a 3rd party.
Any advice?
Thanks
Peace

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rank the top three as: PCGS, NGC, and ANACS in that order.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks cudamark.
I'm thinking the same. Yet, PCGS seems a bit liberal?
Recently viewed an AU Morgan slabbed buy NGC in the 90s, get cracked and re-graded by PCGS as MS?
Guess times are changing.
Peace

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Living in Cincinnati, you should have access to large coin shows. At any of the large coin shows, they (TPGs) will have representatives accepting coins for submission. No Third Party handling. No membership. In every case, there is a show discount. Any coins that I want graded, I bring to the FUN show.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living in Cincinnati, you should have access to large coin shows. At any of the large coin shows, they (TPGs) will have representatives accepting coins for submission. No Third Party handling. No membership. In every case, there is a show discount. Any coins that I want graded, I bring to the FUN show.
Pretty sure you have to be a member to submit directly, even if you drop it off at the grading services' booth at the shows. You just save $ by having to pay for shipping only one way.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Pretty sure you have to be a member to submit directly, even if you drop it off at the grading services' booth at the shows. You just save $ by having to pay for shipping only one way.

No you don't. Fill out the paperwork. Charge the show rates. And your done. For example, when you go to FUN there are over 600 dealers and it is one of the largest shows in the US.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks cudamark.
I'm thinking the same. Yet, PCGS seems a bit liberal?
Recently viewed an AU Morgan slabbed buy NGC in the 90s, get cracked and re-graded by PCGS as MS?
Guess times are changing.
Peace
None of the grading services are 100% accurate. These just seem to be the closest IMO.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion I think it depends on what you are having graded as to what company you send your coins to. I usually break my coins up in these categories to decide where I send them.

1. Toned Coins or coins with something that has a chance for the eye appeal star - NGC
2. Dmpl coins - PCGS
3. Barber Half or Barber Dime, High grades - PCGS
4. Bullion - NGC as the price is cheaper and you get the same price as a PCGS graded coin.
5. 5000 dollar or higher coins - PCGS, They have a higher level of trust from the buying community. This will probably equal a better price if you ever sell this coin.
6. ANAC - I use them quite a bit for a couple of different reasons. First one is to check Authenticity. The second big one is to see what type of grade a coin might be looking at and help me decide if it is worth sending to NGC or PCGS.

Cheers - koffee

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No you don't. Fill out the paperwork. Charge the show rates. And your done. For example, when you go to FUN there are over 600 dealers and it is one of the largest shows in the US.
That's cool. I didn't know that.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
That's cool. I didn't know that.

Neither do alot of first time attendees. Heck, I didn't my first FUN show. I wondered what the line was over by the wall, and it was PCGS reps stacking boxes of coins to be graded and shipped out. Now, they only provide the services at large coin shows. The loss of memberships is more than supplanted by the volume of coins. For extra costs, they even have graders on-site with a couple hour turnaround on coin submissions.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All.
Question; Have you purchased a membership to PCGS or NGC or other to have coins "slabbed"- graded?
If so, which grading company do you see as the most reputable, and why? PCGS and NGC both offer initial memberships for approximately $200. A few "free" grading's are included.
I have two local trustworthy coin dealers that charge $30 per coin per grading, although, I will avoid a 3rd party.
Any advice?
Thanks
Peace

I would think long and hard before sending any coin to be slabbed. How do you know it will come back problem free?

What is your reason for having your coins slabbed? Will getting them slabbed increase their value or will the cost of slabbing actually cause you to spend more money than the coin is worth?

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so much concerned about increasing value. Each are priceless to me.
Authentication is my primary concern. I continually receive various opinions. I'm searching for the most stringent and respected grader.
Peace

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Not so much concerned about increasing value. Each are priceless to me.
Authentication is my primary concern. I continually receive various opinions. I'm searching for the most stringent and respected grader.
Peace

You can get authenticity opinions by many knowledgeable coin collectors if you post pics here: Google "coincommunity forums"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread