Going Rates For Circulated/Fodder US Coins???

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

What are shops selling fodder coins at these days? If anyone knows please chime in. Specifically: Buffalo nickels, wheat pennies, V nickels and Indian Head pennies. What are they going for per coin in those 'rummage boxes' in coin shops? Thanks for any input.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is what I have seen although, the answer to your question will vary widely...
This is retail pricing. If you are looking to sell, you are not going to get anywhere close to the prices below.

Buffalo Nickels = $1-2 each
Wheat Pennies = 25 cents to $2 each
V Nickels = $2-5 each
Indian Heads = $1-2 each

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haven't looked in a couple years But I hear

Buffalos 15 Cents a Quarter with full dates
Wheats 3 to 5 cents depending on dates
V's & Indians No idea

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
haven't looked in a couple years But I hear

Buffalos 15 Cents a Quarter with full dates
Wheats 3 to 5 cents depending on dates
V's & Indians No idea

15 cents for FULL DATE Buffalos?

I have seen some low grade 40s-50s Wheats going for 5 cents before but that is not typical.

I think the OP is asking for retail prices. Your prices are more reflective of secondary market pricing. Collector to collector; flea market, craigslist, etc.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

I have seen some low grade 40s-50s Wheats going for 5 cents before but that is not typical.

I think the OP is asking for retail prices. Your prices are more reflective of secondary market pricing. Collector to collector; flea market, craigslist, etc.
.25 cents for common date wheats ? Seriously ? Want to buy some ? I've sold thousands of them on Ebay over the past couple of years and the very best I got was 7 cents each.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

no reread or perhaps it's my wording above :tongue3: .25 for Full date

i meant .15 no date

anyway Point taken, I'm talking what dealers here used to quote in Newspaper ads a couple years ago

and .03 each for unsearched Bags & worn wheats
.05 for Nice early date wheats

Of course they turn around and Scalp buyers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, that helps. Yeah, I was sure to get a wide range of answers...hope more come in too. I couldn't remember the prices around here too much, since I have not bought anything form a coin shop for a few years...but I do remember Buffalos were at or around $1-$2 and IHs were always $1. This was usually always what you'd expect to pay from the boxes. Not all of the fodder box specimens were horrible but the dates are nearly 100% common. I know I'm not getting near to what the dealers might be asking, but knowing what they are charging allows me to climb down from some starting point.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
.25 cents for common date wheats ? Seriously ? Want to buy some ? I've sold thousands of them on Ebay over the past couple of years and the very best I got was 7 cents each.

READ
MY

"I think the OP is asking for retail prices. Your prices are more reflective of secondary market pricing. Collector to collector; flea market, craigslist, etc."

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
READ
MY

"I think the OP is asking for retail prices. Your prices are more reflective of secondary market pricing. Collector to collector; flea market, craigslist, etc."
No need to YELL... And I can read just fine. I realize you and I have had our differences in the past but there's no need to be RUDE.. I answered the question posed by the OP honestly and using my experience as the basis for those answers. He is asking what the average prices are for the bowls & bins of common coins you always find on the counter when you go into your local neighborhood coin shop. Have you been in one lately ? I've been collecting coins actively since the late 1950s and still do. How about you ? My most recent purchase of mixed date wheat cents was in my local RETAIL coin shop. In bulk I pay 3 cents each

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
No need to YELL... And I can read just fine. I realize you and I have had our differences in the past but there's no need to be RUDE.. I answered the question posed by the OP honestly and using my experience as the basis for those answers. He is asking what the average prices are for the bowls & bins of common coins you always find on the counter when you go into your local neighborhood coin shop. Have you been in one lately ? I've been collecting coins actively since the late 1950s and still do. How about you ? My most recent purchase of mixed date wheat cents was in my local RETAIL coin shop. In bulk I pay 3 cents each

1. Ok I get it. Maybe some shops charge less than 25 cents for common wheats. I wouldnt doubt it. I would never pay 25 cents for common wheats myself but a kid filling an album might.
2. You originally referred to ebay which has nothing to do with what the OP asked about, hence my reply.
3. Now you are bringing bulk pricing into it. What does "paying 3 cents each in bulk" have to do with the OP's question? Typically to get bulk pricing you have to buy a large quantity, usually sight unseen. Is this what the OP asked about? No, it is a different topic entirely.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP is talking about rummage box prices, which are much less than retail. Rummage box prices for wheaties, at coin shows, are generally $.10 per coin, maybe $.15.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I can generally buy Indians, V's and Buffalo's for $0.60 - 0.85 apiece locally. 90% silver is usually in the spot +10% range, depending on whether prices are rising or falling.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again everyone...and let's not bicker ;) Anyway, that might have been my fault a little by not being more specific. Most of the mid west coin shops I have been to, always have(and we know this)the trays or display boxes of generally very circulated coins, not worth slabbing for serious collectors usually and always common dates etc., but I have pulled some decent coins out for my novice collections in the past, even though the box price cut across the board for whatever was in the box. Anyway, I have also seen shops have 'graded' but not slabbed coins(in another box) which of course generally sold for more. I am not talking about the uncirculated piles of coins, neither anything that is slabbed. It seems like the boxes would yield some ok specimens(if you had the time and patience to sort through them)...it isn't difficult to find coins that are toned but are nudging F-VF worth buying for a novice collection. Ok, so maybe i'm over thinking it. Lol. My original question is basically answered...I just wanted to know what coins shops were selling them for. Thanks a million everyone. :)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The OP is talking about rummage box prices, which are much less than retail. Rummage box prices for wheaties, at coin shows, are generally $.10 per coin, maybe $.15.

1. You clearly do not know what retail means.
2. The OP is most certainly talking about retail prices at coin shops, not coin shows or anything else.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
1. You clearly do not know what retail means.
2. The OP is most certainly talking about retail prices at coin shops, not coin shows or anything else.
Unreal... Here's an off the wall thought Ben. How about respecting the OP's wishes ? What part of "lets not bicker" is so hard to understand ?

Attachments

• angry-dog.jpg
    angry-dog.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Buffalo nickels, wheat pennies, V nickels and Indian Head pennies. What are they going for per coin in those 'rummage boxes' in coin shops? Thanks for any input.

Stopped by my LCS today.

Buffalo nickels: $.25-$.50 for common date (partial and full date) 1930's buffs, a lot more for better looking coins and for earlier buffalos.
Wheats: Huge buckets that you can search through for $.05 per coin or $2 for 50 coins. Nothing earlier in them than the 1930's last I checked.
V Nickels - $1 per, for worn looking ones, more for better looking ones.
IHC - $1 - $1.50 per coin for common dates, more for better condition/less common dates.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Stopped by my LCS today.

Buffalo nickels: $.25-$.50 for common date (partial and full date) 1930's buffs, a lot more for better looking coins and for earlier buffalos.
Wheats: Huge buckets that you can search through for $.05 per coin or $2 for 50 coins. Nothing earlier in them than the 1930's last I checked.
IHC - $1 - $1.50 per coin for common dates, more for better condition/less common dates.
Thank you ! These prices are what I'm used to seeing as well. :thumbsup:

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by my LCS today.

That's about the same as my LCS, although they charge a bit more for Buffs. One other LCS in the area was even less for IHCs and Vs.

Bulk bins can be fun to search through, we got to cherry pick through a bin of Mercs and made several nice condition/date picks at not much over spot pricing.
I suppose those coins were bought as bulk silver, don't imagine a dealer has time to cherry pick through everything bought that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread