Silver Coin Help!

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this coin yesterday and its rapidly turning black... what can I do to restore and prevent it?

Also any info about the type of coin would be greatly appreciated...

IMG_20141201_133359.jpg IMG_20141201_133428.jpg

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I would want to restore it unless it goes so black you can't see anything on it-- even then I would clean it only with expert help/advice. I would LOVE to find a coin like that! It's a Spanish Colonial silver cob coin (Peru mint I think) from 1600s to early 1700s.....I think the 6 there denotes a 1600's date.

OP
OP
D

deedubs

Nov 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info... I guess I was panicking a bit because it changed color from a matte grey to black at an alarming rate! When it was first dug the area that looks clean looked just like the photo, and still does, but the area that turned black had a different finish to it, almost like a dull pewter. So I was interested if anybody knew how to get it back to the way it looked in the first few hours above ground or maybe to stop this process from happening.
Guess I'll need to research further on possible dates and why the thing would have a big hole in it..Fun and fascinating!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised it turned black that quickly. silver does turn black in natural sunlight over time. But I wouldn't worry to much, silver is pretty much bomb proof.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions