Lewis and Clark Nickels?

USMC18

Nov 3, 2014
Chautauqua County NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think these nickels are going to be somewhat valuable someday? They are from 2004 and 2005. I have at least one of each type of nickel and thought I would save them because they were only made two years.
LC Nickel.jpg LC Nickel 2.jpg LC Nickel 3.jpg

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I think at 5 Cents a piece its not a huge investment for a possible pay day.. :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Every coin has some collector interest. May not be much for 75 years or so. Almost none above face value in circulated grades, however.

My Dad gave me some great advice: "Never buy anything market for collectors".

Load up on the plain nickels the year BEFOR the L&C. Everyone saves the L&C and no one saves the last regular issue. Has proven to be great advice.

Instead of the L&C go to KFC and ask for a unused bucket. In 25 years it will be worth more than those nickels because NO ONE saves them. It will therefore be rare. ;-)

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, I'll be the contrarian and say they are indeed worth saving and collecting. Whenever the Mint changes a design, the possibility of errors and varieties are increased. These coins are worth a hefty premium especially in mint state. Who wouldn't want to find out that they saved a roll of Speared Bison nickels in mint state inadvertently? Even if no unique varieties or errors are found in your cache, in mint state they are still collectible. It is up to you to market them to the seller. Offering them individually won't garner any premium over face, but if you package them as the complete series, you can expect a positive return on your initial speculative investment. Will you get rich? Not likely, unless you do have that roll of Speared Bison.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find Mintage Numbers, but my guess they made more Lewis & Clark nickels then
any other .

So no. they will never be worth more the 5 Cents unless the metal they are made of increases

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 75 years, they will probably be worth as much as the 1939 nickel is now, which really isn't any more than $.25 in VF condition, unless you keep them in Uncirculated condition.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are people who collect all kinds of things so someday im sure these will be collected by somebody to. Probably won't be a high dollar coin but what will you be out to hold onto them no much so I say put them away and see what happens.

OP
OP
U

USMC18

Nov 3, 2014
Chautauqua County NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the answers guys. I might save them just for the heck of it, you never know. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread