Not sure what I have got here

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1994 Cent in a box today. It has a very strange rings which parallels the upper obverse rim and actually runs through the top third of the motto. There is a similar but less dramatic effect in the reverse through "United States". I don't see any doubling in this coin. Any ideas? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418522119.534436.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418522131.892397.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418522146.555929.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418522157.328585.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you are seeing is quite common on coins produced from dies that have been in service too long. The die begins to fatigue on the outer area from abuse. Layman's terms, it is caused by a worn die.

OP
OP
Local_coins

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you are seeing is quite common on coins produced from dies that have been in service too long. The die begins to fatigue on the outer area from abuse. Layman's terms, it is caused by a worn die.

I wondered about a worn die but I couldn't find any pictures with similar defects which occurred inside the design. It is very strange. It looks like a ridge and the design toward the rim falls sharply away from the relief of the rest of the coin.

Last edited:

OU812

Nov 19, 2014
Its actually a double strike,
or the die, Was off centre and not level causing a extra rim.

Look up double coin strikes and values.

Great find!!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find!!
I'm sorry, but this isn't true. The coin hasn't been struck twice. It also isn't an off center strike or a misaligned die. It is simple die fatigue.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
Local_coins

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find!!

There is no doubling or evidence of a double strike on this coin.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very similar cent (oddly enough, also 1994) that caught my eye when searching months ago. Sorry for the crappy photo below, but it's the best I could take. My LCS offered to pay a premium for this coin. His reasoning (not an exact quote) was that the letters were affected, and on both sides of the coin. I believe he attributed it to a slightly off-center strike. I think he offered me $10-20.
Enamel - are you saying there is no value in this coin? If so, I think I should go back and take him up on his offer. Or...take a more friendly tact and just engage the guy in polite discourse on the topic. I value your opinion on this forum, but I'd really love some collaborating evidence if you have any before I do either of these things. I have seen other cents in my searches which are similar to these two examples, but not nearly as pronounced.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418964572.953105.jpg

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen plenty of these through the years. a misaligned die or an off center strike would actually remove part of the design. the constant slamming of the dies causes the die to start rounding, if ever so slightly. Since the least amount of pressure is toward the rim, it will actually be the lowest in relief, thus appearing higher on a minted coin. The line is where the change begins to take place on the die. Also, if the coin was off center, why is the circle center all the way around the coin?
One thing to remember about most lcs's. they usually know little about errors. They generally only know about the bigger varieties. Look on line at photos of misaligned die and off center strikes and you will see the difference.
If he offered you that much I would definitely take him up on it. A true coin with a misaligned die or off cent strike of that minor detail still wouldn't be worth that much.
HH
enamel7

Last edited:
OP
OP
Local_coins

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my example the ring is only around about 20% of the obverse and less than that on the reverse.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see, if the strike is off center then the design moves, not the actual shape of the stamp. If the strike is off center so is the design. If a partial ring is through the design and the design is in it's proper area, it can't be off center or misaligned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions