CT copper found in colonial flats

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was looking through my colonial goodies from the past few hunts and came across this item. I thought th ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418610306.810879.jpg is was a really bad colonial dandy button but upon further inspection I do believe it's my first colonial copper. I know it's in bad shape although I think it my first true CT copper. Other side is smooth as silk. Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, no date for sure.

I can only make out the 17 and the bottom of an 8. It was many things that led me to the year 1787. It was mostly the unique positioning of the stars and the lettering.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Todd, it is not a Connecticut copper, but more than likely it is a George II or III British copper. If it's a George III than more than likely it is a contemporary counterfeit. Outside of the figure the only thing you can see is the I A at the right side of the coin. This is where the end of the word BRITANNIA would appear. It is possible, although probably impossible to tell on your coin that is is a Machin's Mills piece made just north of Newburgh, NY around 1789-90. Machin's Mills Halfpennies
Don

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Technically, it could be a KG II, KG III, CT, Machin's Mills, or VT copper. I would need to see a much clearer pic to be sure.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to disagree Ben on the VT and CT. There's only one variety of VT it could be and that's the Ryder 13, which you can eliminate by the photo. KGII, KGIII or Machin's it is.

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Todd, it is not a Connecticut copper, but more than likely it is a George II or III British copper. If it's a George III than more than likely it is a contemporary counterfeit. Outside of the figure the only thing you can see is the I A at the right side of the coin. This is where the end of the word BRITANNIA would appear. It is possible, although probably impossible to tell on your coin that is is a Machin's Mills piece made just north of Newburgh, NY around 1789-90. Machin's Mills Halfpennies
Don

Thats incredible. I never noticed the I A on the side before but it is there. Nice eyes and thanks!

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, it could be a KG II, KG III, CT, Machin's Mills, or VT copper. I would need to see a much clearer pic to be sure.

I will try to get a better pic of it. I will more than likely use my Nikon SLR on macro with better lights.

OP
OP
toddsumm1

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree Ben on the VT and CT. There's only one variety of VT it could be and that's the Ryder 13, which you can eliminate by the photo. KGII, KGIII or Machin's it is.

Any of those coins would be awesome. Trying to get pics but I am sure the possibilty of a positive ID are low.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread