Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

US Mint Releases Second Report on Alternative Ways to Manufacture Coins

1. There is no material that can make cent production cheaper.
    2. Currently, the costs to industries that make use of coin-accepting machines (such as vending, parking meter or change machines, etc.) far outweigh the savings incurred by using the most promising alternative coin composition.
    3. Businesses with a stake in coin-accepting machines recommend the Mint make no change whatsoever to the quarter at this time, no matter what changes might be made to smaller denominations.
    4. Zinc-based compositions aren’t good enough for denominations over one cent; multi-ply and nickel plated steel aren’t good enough for denominations higher than a quarter.
    5. Therefore, the US Mint does not recommend changing coin compositions at this time, though research is ongoing.http://www.coinweek.com/coins/news/...nd-report-alternative-ways-manufacture-coins/

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at the very least If they don't discontinue the cent, They may make them Digital.

Swipe your card or Phone to have the cent added to your account.
of course the bank will charge 1 10th of a cent each time :laughing7:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would a plastic cent work? That is what the new coins from Transnistria are made of.

even though they are practically worthless on their own,
I think they would still fear they would be too easy to counterfeit.
Especially these days of 3-D printers .

they would have to have some type of chip making them cost more then 1 cent each to make,
as they do now

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish they would be done with them! Pennies are considered junk to some people...then they would have to throw Abe's ugly mug on another coin

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish they would be done with them! Pennies are considered junk to some people...then they would have to throw Abe's ugly mug on another coin

That's because those people have never had to do without. Some people just throw them away. Those people didn't live during the depression. If that ever happens again they'll wish they had saved every one. When I md I dig every coin. Some folks think they're too good for them. That's ok, more for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread