Couple questions about grading and conservation - NGC/NCS

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First question - I recently submitted a batch of coins to NGS for grading (the first time I have ever sent coins in for grading). One of the coins was a 1924 standing liberty quarter. Not a rare date or anything, but I thought it might come back with a MS grade so I went for it. I received an e-mail saying that it may be a good candidate for their conservation service. I was surprised since the coin looked very good to me. Prior to conservation, NGC assigned a grade of MS 63 FH, which I was pleased with. I was told there was no guarantee the coin would upgrade through conservation but would also not get any worse. In the end I decided to spring for $25 to have the conservation done. Has anyone else had this experience with NGC? Wasn't sure if it was just a gimmicky moneymaker or a valuable service when it comes to a coin that does not appear to have condition issues. I am having second thoughts about investing too much in a coin that is not all that valuable.

Second question - I was not aware of the FH or "full head" designation. Is this widely recognized? If so, does it add significantly to the value, as compared to a MS 63 with no FH?

Thanks in advance for your help.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A full head designation is always more desirable than one without. It indicates a better than average strike. Depending on how many of that year/mintmark have received that grade would determine it's added value. Some years are easy to find full heads and some years are very hard. A 1924 is not a particularly tough one. Now if it was a 1918 over 17, you'd really have something there!

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO, paying for conservation (to any company) is a waste of money. Nothing you can't do on your own with some acetone and a little "know-how".

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I could not conserve them later on my own since they were going to be slabbed after the grading, but in the future I won't bother with the conservation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread