Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
getting some flak from an Ebayer over this coin I have listed. he claims it is solder and there is no upset of reverse surface. I applied direct heat for 10 seconds with a propane torch with no change to the blob. it is as hard as the rest of coin. I will be sending to NGC for certification. cannot find any other '39's with this CUD. all opinions appreciated. IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0205.JPG

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the good photo. If a thumb nail or walnut shell pressed on the "Cud" left a mark, that should have determined if it was soft lead solder. Coin was cleaned. My guess is that it won't be professionally graded because of that.

I never heard of the torch method, but I wouldn't try it. Might get false toning.

All that being said, it might be a fun keeper. If more turn up, she still might have some extra value.

Ace250s rule! At least for many of us.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look like it could be solder, may be silver solder which is harder and melts at a higher temperature than lead solder. It looks like it could be a little dab on the reverse too right below and to the left of "D" in dime.. What does the reeding on the edge look like in that area?

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to vote for solder. You can see a definite defined rim in the left area of the blob of metal. If it was a true cud, the metal flow would go uninterrupted to the edge of the coin, as a cud is formed from a piece of the die breaking off.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks all for your feedback. taking her to my LCS today for his opinion. coin was found in a bank roll

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you have to ask the question, what causes a cud? The answer is that a piece of the die broke during striking. If that is so, there would be others. To me, the best example of a cud on a very rare coin would be the 1787 Vermont copper, Ryder 15. 1787 Vermont Copper - Ryder 15 It does appear to me that your dime has been soldered to use as a pendant. For what it's worth I was a contributor to the Guide Book of United States Coins (the Redbook) for about 10 years, but my specialty is colonial coins.
Don Mituzas

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, Don. I am now so bummed since most opinions are not what I was hoping. maybe next time. your finds are always amazing down the river.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a pretty nice cud in a coin roll one time. Your cud is a pretty nice one too. Most cuds are barely noticeable.

cud1997.jpg

Coinman123,

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do not think they will grade it do to other coin issues.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that it is not a Cud and is probably Silver Solder as the rim appears to be still somewhat visible which would not happen if it were a true Cud due to a Die Break! With a tru Die Break Cud, there is no rim and just a blob (Cud) of metal. Besides, the metal flow of a Cud is usually more uniform and doesn't have uneven bumpiness to it.

Frank

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
getting some flak from an Ebayer over this coin I have listed. he claims it is solder and there is no upset of reverse surface. I applied direct heat for 10 seconds with a propane torch with no change to the blob. it is as hard as the rest of coin. I will be sending to NGC for certification. cannot find any other '39's with this CUD. all opinions appreciated.

You are wasting your money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread