blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK so here is the story. I was metal detecting what used to be a old road dating back to the early 1800's up until the 1960's. Well I dug this flying eagle cent that is for sure. But it is in extremely bad shape But I looked at it really good and I can swear that it looks like a 6 at the end. I cant see the 185? I only see what looks to be a 6 or a 8.

Could I send it to PCGS or NGC and they could look at it and determine if it is a 6 or a 8 I am willing to take the risk if it's not too much money. And if it was a 6 go from there. Also one other question if it happens to be a 6 would it be worth getting grade in that poor condition or would they even grade it at all. I was reading they also do coin restorations if they can would that be worth it or not thanks.

Camera is not the best and the pics are the best I can do. I have a jeweler lope and that's how I can see a 6 or 8 but the lope is not the best either it is a 10x lope. You Can't see the date on the pics for some reason sorry

ahut28iqb

cnp3wqm6r

Attachments

• SANY6933.jpg
    SANY6933.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 166

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure how the grading system works,but even in that shape, if it can be identified as a 1856 you are still talking some bucks.Of course condition matters,but not quite as much when it comes to very rare coins.Either way it's nice find.Someone who really knows what they are talking about should be around to give you some imfo.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try putting a nice smooth piece of aluminum foil on the coin and do a rubbing, this often brings out details that aren't visible. If there is any doubt the grading companies will not identify it. It is too far gone for any conservation work, the detail is just gone. If it truly is an 1856, which is very unlikely, and could be identified as such it would still be quite valuable.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, hope it turns out to be an 1856!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If the coin were to be an 1856 Flying Eagle Cent, the folks at PCGS would normally determine it's Date and authenticity by comparing characteristics (details and letter positioning) on the coin to known Dies for the 1856 Flying Eagle Cent. However, I am afraid that the O.P's coin may be in too bad of shape to clearly make out any of these characteristics. Sending the coin to them, would probably be a shot in the dark and one that the O.P. will have to decide whether the costs merit any possible outcome.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread