"CSA" Counter Stamped seated half dollar

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my brother is wanting to sell a Seated Liberty Half dollar that is counter stamped "CSA" and is engraved at the top of the reverse with "LT. William Fuller". I told him that it may have some added value to someone who collects civil war artifacts. Can anyone tell me more about it and it's possible value? Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421900551.876270.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421900572.262443.jpg

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately I think most of these were fantasy pieces struck on a counterfeit coin. What is the diameter and weight of the coin? Most of the original id disks were engraved CS and not CSA. Weight and diameter would be a good start to see if it's a real seated half.

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. I'll have him weigh it and see. Do you know what it should weigh?

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
The name is Lt. William M Forrest.... I had one identical to this several years back... I always suspected that this was a fantasy piece...

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Most likely the Seated Half is authentic. The engraving and provenance is not. Many of these were created as late as the 1990's as souvenirs. They vary with names and units. Some are quite nicely done with beautiful calligraphy. Worn/holed seated halves don't carry too much value beyond silver or as a filler in someone's collection. The makers of these souvenirs turned something that was worthless except for silver scrap into items with questionable provenance and implied rarity/value. I own three different "Dog Tags" attributed to various soldiers and units. I collect them because they are neat, and I never pay more than $20. At that price, I've probably thrown money away, but if I didn't throw it away on these fantasy pieces then I likely would have thrown it away eating value meals at fast food with nothing to show for it.

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the info! It is pretty authentic looking! He decided to list it on eBay along with a bunch of other silver coins, mostly junk silver. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't getting rid of something valuable. I think my brother paid around $8 for it at one of the those cash for silver and gold stores. As usual, you guys were a huge help!

mtholen

Aug 17, 2012
Greenvile, SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 501
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't William Fuller the engineer on the General (train chase in GA during the Civil War)?

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, it's actually Lt. William M Forrest. I don't know where I got Fuller from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread