Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on the beach in Miami on vacation. It's exactly like a normal quarter except the side or reading. If you notice the color is all silver/gray. Every quarter I have ever held is 2 colored, silver/grey and copper unless it is silver. This coin is obviously very different from regular quarters. It is a 1999 P Georgia it is the same size, thickness, diameter, design, etc. EXCEPT FOR THE COLOR. I weighed it and found it to be 5.5 grams on my scale. Very close to a clad quarters weight. I don't think it is silver because it would've weighed a little more and P mint did not make silver proofs as far as I know. Let me know what you think.

The coin is far right in the stack. "The solid colored one.

20150212_222332.jpg 20150212_222352.jpg 20150212_222432.jpg 20150212_223408.jpg "

OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction: the coin is the top one

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Found one just like it before, my guess it was plated, they plated these in gold, platinum, and who knows what else to sell to new collectors.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If the weight of the coin is right on 5.5 grams as in 5.50 grams, then it is quite possible that it was actually struck on an Experimental Planchet! The Mints were testing Experimental Planchets during this time and some of these Test Coins made it out of the Mints, have been found and were/are not only recorded but some have sold for very high prices. If the coin's weight is spot on, it does not have enough wear on it to account for the 0.17 of a gram discrepancy. Most Clad Quarter Planchets will vary a few grams either side of 5.67 grams but not 0.17 of a gram! With your's, it may be time for it to visit PCGS for certification of the Error or Variety (it depends on what they want to call it as it was an Error that it got out into circulation but at the same time, it was a planned Mint change or experiment for these Planchets, so I would go with Variety) and coin, grading and attribution of the Variety on the label of the slab.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. Have you ever sent anything into PCGS before? Are they pretty reliable?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the info. Have you ever sent anything into PCGS before? Are they pretty reliable?

You are most welcome and no I have never submitted any coins to them as you have to be a member of PCGS to do so! I had one coin submitted to them as well as one coin submitted to ANACS many years ago through a Coin Dealer and I got them back with no problems, although I did not agree with the grade that ANACS placed on the one coin. While PCGS has occasional problems just like most of the other Third Party Grading Services, they are the #1 rated Third Grading Service Company, the most respected and coins that are/were certified, graded and (if asked for and needed) attributed by them usually sell for quite a bit more than coins of the same Date, Mint Mark and Grade that were graded by their competitors. Note: You can become a member of PCGS and submit coins to them yourself or you can seek out a Coin Dealer that is a member of PCGS and have them submit the coin for you. Of course, the Coin Dealer may charge you a little on top of the costs of submitting the coin to them for certification, grading and attribution. Get some opinions from trusted and reliable Coin Dealers in your area and from some Coin Forums as to whether your' Quarter was struck on an Experimental Planchet and if the majority agree, you may want to submit it to PCGS. Also, if you do so, make sure to ask for and pay for the Attribution of the Variety on the holder's (slab's) Label. Without the Attribution on the label, the coin will be harder to sell (if you choose to do so) as a Variety coin struck on an Experimental Planchet.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Frank

OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are most welcome and no I have never submitted any coins to them as you have to be a member of PCGS to do so! I had one coin submitted to them as well as one coin submitted to ANACS many years ago through a Coin Dealer and I got them back with no problems, although I did not agree with the grade that ANACS placed on the one coin. While PCGS has occasional problems just like most of the other Third Party Grading Services, they are the #1 rated Third Grading Service Company, the most respected and coins that are/were certified, graded and (if asked for and needed) attributed by them usually sell for quite a bit more than coins of the same Date, Mint Mark and Grade that were graded by their competitors. Note: You can become a member of PCGS and submit coins to them yourself or you can seek out a Coin Dealer that is a member of PCGS and have them submit the coin for you. Of course, the Coin Dealer may charge you a little on top of the costs of submitting the coin to them for certification, grading and attribution. Get some opinions from trusted and reliable Coin Dealers in your area and from some Coin Forums as to whether your' Quarter was struck on an Experimental Planchet and if the majority agree, you may want to submit it to PCGS. Also, if you do so, make sure to ask for and pay for the Attribution of the Variety on the holder's (slab's) Label. Without the Attribution on the label, the coin will be harder to sell (if you choose to do so) as a Variety coin struck on an Experimental Planchet.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Frank

Thanks again I'll look into it.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
i would say you have a plated coin, but the hair is doesnt appear to have been plated. i have no clue.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would say you have a plated coin, but the hair is doesnt appear to have been plated. i have no clue.

If the coin was plated, it should weigh more than a common clad (5.67 grams). In this case the coin is lacking enough wear to weigh significantly less than 5.67 grams... much less if the coin were plated. I will hold judgement on whether the coin is an 'experimental' planchet, but if it does weigh 5.5 grams (on an accurate scale)... it might be something worth taking a second look at, or at least get it into the hands of someone who can help identify what's going on. Most likely, your scale isn't accurate and it's plated, but I've been wrong before!

OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the info. I haven't done anything more with the coin yet. I have to find a coin dealer nearby before I bring it in some where.

My scale is not very accurate. Its intended for weighing boy scout pine wood derby cars and it only registers to the 100's of a gram ( ex: 0.28 ). I can imagine for weighing coins you would at least like a couple more place values than that. I know I would.

I will have to do some research on these experimental planchets and plated coins.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again for the info. I haven't done anything more with the coin yet. I have to find a coin dealer nearby before I bring it in some where.

My scale is not very accurate. Its intended for weighing boy scout pine wood derby cars and it only registers to the 100's of a gram ( ex: 0.28 ). I can imagine for weighing coins you would at least like a couple more place values than that. I know I would.

I will have to do some research on these experimental planchets and plated coins.

Your' weigh scale should suffice as most weights for the State Quarters struck on normal planchets and experimental planchets, are given in tenths of a gram. The State Quarters that have been found so far to have been struck on experimental planchets, weigh from 5.9 to 6.3 grams and so far, four different types of experimental planchets are known. See the links below for more information and to get a good start on determining whether your' 1999 Georgia State Quarter was struck on an experimental planchet.

Mike Byers Inc. - U.S. Gold Coins - Numismatic Rarities - Fine Art

Statehood Quarters On An Experimental Alloy

Errors

Frank

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
the more i look at it the more i think it could very well be a wrong planchet. the only thing that makes me think otherwise is the odds of finding something like that.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Additionally, since nobody has mentioned it... this quarter IS a 1999... the year that experimental planchets were most common (or the only year they exist?). I'm interested to see how this turns out...

OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your' weigh scale should suffice as most weights for the State Quarters struck on normal planchets and experimental planchets, are given in tenths of a gram. The State Quarters that have been found so far to have been struck on experimental planchets, weigh from 5.9 to 6.3 grams and so far, four different types of experimental planchets are known. See the links below for more information and to get a good start on determining whether your' 1999 Georgia State Quarter was struck on an experimental planchet.

Mike Byers Inc. - U.S. Gold Coins - Numismatic Rarities - Fine Art

Statehood Quarters On An Experimental Alloy

Errors

Frank

Thanks for the links. Can't wait to check them out!

OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the more i look at it the more i think it could very well be a wrong planchet. the only thing that makes me think otherwise is the odds of finding something like that.

You have me curious. If it is a wrong planchet, what coin would this planchet be intended for?

It's obviously not clad but all other US coins that I know are clad or copper or if you get technical, silver and manganese brass also exist. So, where would this planchet fit in?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You have me curious. If it is a wrong planchet, what coin would this planchet be intended for?

It's obviously not clad but all other US coins that I know are clad or copper or if you get technical, silver and manganese brass also exist. So, where would this planchet fit in?

I think that Donneybrook was merely inferring that the Quarter was minted on a planchet that was not intended for circulation! If the coin was in fact struck on an Experimental Planchet and ended up in circulation, then that would be the case, just different wording. The links that I provided will answer the question he posed "If it is a wrong planchet, what coin would this planchet be intended for?".

Frank

OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that Donneybrook was merely inferring that the Quarter was minted on a planchet that was not intended for circulation! If the coin was in fact struck on an Experimental Planchet and ended up in circulation, then that would be the case, just different wording. The links that I provided will answer the question he posed "If it is a wrong planchet, what coin would this planchet be intended for?".

Frank

Ok, see what you are saying.

I looked at the links. Whats pretty interesting is that the known errors are mostly colored like the Sacagawea dollars. Mine is bright / silvery and as far as I can judge it doesn't have a "greenish hue" to it.

It does appear to not have the copper core in it, judging by the single color edge / sides. Which the website said is a possible indicator.

The weight is under from what the site said.

Thanks

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend contacting a Variety Attributer or Error Eaminer with Coneca or both at the links below. They can advise you whether to send the coin to one of the Attributers for attribution or one of the Examiners for examination. The question is, what designation it will possibly be? Will it be a Variety or an Error??!! If it was struck on an Experimental Planchet, then it could be called either as it was a planned striking by the Mint but then again, it was an Error that it got out into circulation. If it was struck on a Wrong Planchet, then it would be considered an Error. If they say yes and you send it to an Attributer or Examiner, they will inspect and analyze the coin and give you their findings. If the coin was in fact struck on wrong planchet or experimental planchet, it could be a new discovery and thus very valuable. They will likely also advise what are next steps to take.

http://conecaonline.org/content/coneca_attributions.html

http://conecaonline.org/content/coneca_examinations.html

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the links I will definitely look into doing this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions