Suggestions to make this more readable

dustyspurs

Jun 20, 2012
Lafayette
Detector(s) used
Deus 3.2 , Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a plantation cane field north of NOLA. I'm hoping someone can suggest ways to clean it enough to determine what it is. So far, I've cleaned it lightly with a brush and water. It's slightly smaller than a quarter but much thinner and copper. There are some raised areas, but not enough to clearly describe. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Chuck's coin 001.JPG Chuck's coin 002.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First, soak it in Acetone for a few minutes to stop the verigris, rinse, pat dry with a towel, then place it in Extra Virgin Olive Oil for several weeks to several months to loosen any dirt, grime and/or corrosion that might be removed and to stabilize it to prevent further corrosion. Once removed from the Olive Oil, you can use a green Rose Thorn to remove most of the remaining dirt, grime and some of the corrosion, then pat dry very well with a towel and see what details you can then make out. After that, place the coin in a 2x2 protective holder.

Frank

OP
OP
D

dustyspurs

Jun 20, 2012
Lafayette
Detector(s) used
Deus 3.2 , Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank,
Thank you for the detailed suggestions. Will try to get started on the process today and will post after pictures.Chuck

puredoller

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you remember us! I'm very curious now too!! I want to see the results!

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you're too impatient for that, put olive oil on a well worn pad of scotchbrite and rub the coin stopping frequently to wipe it with cloth and look for the details to emerge.
I've done this on coins looking as featureless as yours with good results.

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also curious as to what your coin is. If any wording can be made discernable that would probably help the most.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, looking forward to the finished results!

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scotch brite???? Perish the thought, I'd kill someone for even rubbing a coin with their fingers. The suggestion about olive oil and a thorn is a good one, go with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread