What do i have here? need expert opinion.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1983 P

4444444.jpg 11111111.jpg 33333333.jpg 222222222222.jpg
777.jpg 888.jpg 999.jpg 6666.jpg 5555555.jpg

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is the result of severely over used Dies or called Die Deterioration and the Doubling and smearing of the metal are the result.

Frank

Last edited:

puredoller

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are so knowledgable... So, does the die deterioration make his coin more valuable or just another dime?

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Frank and I have also seen this type of result when there is grease or other foreign matter on the die surface.

Dennisjf12

Dec 18, 2014
Massillon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer AT, Garrett bags
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Liu21
you have a Roosevelt dime, the top back does look different, I would take to at least two or three different coin dealers, make sure you keep the coin protected, so as to not get dirty, scratched or anything, anything different to a coin that was done when minted, could make it more valuable, if you collect coins, you might want to keep it, if not sell it for as much as you can, but do not settle for your first price, take your husband, boyfriend, or a good friend with you, some coin dealers will try to you, cheaper prices, because they don't know what you have, good luck.

You know after looking at the pictures again there looks like some double die there.

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Liu21
you have a Roosevelt dime, the top back does look different, I would take to at least two or three different coin dealers, make sure you keep the coin protected, so as to not get dirty, scratched or anything, anything different to a coin that was done when minted, could make it more valuable, if you collect coins, you might want to keep it, if not sell it for as much as you can, but do not settle for your first price, take your husband, boyfriend, or a good friend with you, some coin dealers will try to you, cheaper prices, because they don't know what you have, good luck.

You know after looking at the pictures again there looks like some double die there.

OK, this is the strangest reply I've seen yet this year.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Liu21

What the O.P. has, is a 1983-P Dime that was struck with a severely over used Reverse Die that was suffering from Die Deterioration. This caused the doubling which is Die Deterioration Doubling and is not a Double Die. The smearing in the arc below "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" was likely also a result of Die Deterioration but grease could have been involved as well. The coin has little if any value above face value to anyone with the exception of a Coin Researcher that writes articles on Coin Errors and possibly Varieties as the coin is a great specimen for someone researching and writing about the effects of Die Deterioration on struck (minted) coins!

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the O.P. has, is a 1983-P Dime that was struck with a severely over used Reverse Die that was suffering from Die Deterioration. This caused the doubling which is Die Deterioration Doubling and is not a Double Die. The smearing in the arc below "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" was likely also a result of Die Deterioration but grease could have been involved as well. The coin has little if any value above face value to anyone with the exception of a Coin Researcher that writes articles on Coin Errors and possibly Varieties as the coin is a great specimen for someone researching and writing about the effects of Die Deterioration on struck (minted) coins!

Frank

Exactly! I've noticed alot on the forums that sometimes members will post opinions and treat them as facts. Please don't do this unless you know for sure or say it's an opinion. Sorry, that is just something that gets under my skin.
HH
enamel7

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
Exactly! I've noticed alot on the forums that sometimes members will post opinions and treat them as facts. Please don't do this unless you know for sure or say it's an opinion. Sorry, that is just something that gets under my skin.
HH
enamel7

He happens to be correct... The pictures are adequate to make this determination.

Alan Morgan
President
Greater Houston Coin Club

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He happens to be correct... The pictures are adequate to make this determination.

Alan Morgan
President
Greater Houston Coin Club

I know Frank is correct. Is that you meant? I was referring to a previous post.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent information here and thanks. I did not know the differences in DD's. I make a dime about every 5 seconds so gotta go!

Happy hunting!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know Frank is correct. Is that you meant? I was referring to a previous post.

enamel... It's all good and I know the post that you were referring to! Besides, I don't have all the answers to every question or the reasons why some coins come out as they do and if I am wrong, I would expect someone to correct me or convince me that I am wrong. While I may have been searching for, researching and collecting coins with errors and varieties for a long time, I am not flawless and have made mistakes in assessments of coins but I try give the best assessment that I can.

Thanks!

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Frank! I too know I'm not perfect. It just gets me when others (not you) just throw bad info and the OP doesn't know what to believe. HH
Gilbert

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Hello,
Good photo shoot! Very nice perspectives on this coin. It is still an interesting piece for "show and tell".
Phil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread