Personal coin sale to Canada?

FollowTheBeep

Jul 15, 2014
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
Racer, ACE 250, Propointer AT, Cen-tec pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After posting about a Canadian coin on another forum, I was contacted by a brand new member who wants to buy my coin as well as possibly some others. My question is, should I pursue this or should I be wary? I have never done this before as I prefer to deal in person. Throw in the fact that this person is out of the country and not a known member of the forum makes me even more skeptical. Apparently it is a sought after coin. Any advice???

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
brand new scares me, pass iffn it was me

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research the coin, get a good idea what its worth and get the money in hand before sending the coin. But only if you want to sell it. Its probably legit but I always get money before I send it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Accept payment only via PayPal or a Money Order and don't ship the coin or coins until the funds are verified to be in your' PayPal Account or you have deposited the Money Order in your Bank Account and the funds have cleared which will insure that it is not a counterfeit. Do not accept Certified Bank Checks as these are used by most Scammers and are most often counterfeited. Most Scammers will message you that he/she is sending quite a bit more money than what you are asking for the coin or coins, asks you to deposit the payment (usually a Counterfeit Certified Bank Check) in your Bank Account, withdraw the overpayment right away and send that amount via Western Union to some other person. If you fall for this scam, the Bank will notify you that the Certified Bank Check is a counterfeit and then you are on the hook to pay back the amount withdrawn from the Bank as well as any fees that they charge for processing the Counterfeit Bank Check.

Frank

OP
OP
F

FollowTheBeep

Jul 15, 2014
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
Racer, ACE 250, Propointer AT, Cen-tec pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I'm very skeptical by nature so I was thinking along the same lines. I haven't used Paypal in almost 10 years so if this appears legit then I will use Frank's suggestion on the money order process. I don't need to sell the coins but have little attachment to them either. Sure could use a new detector though. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread