$200 to Spend, What Coin?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what you most like. A coin that completes a set or one that is higher graded than one you already have. Decisions decisions......

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would try to get a 08-s Indian Head, highest grade that would fall into that range, up to about uncirculated.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Without knowing what Series, Type and Denominations you collect, it would be hard to recommend what you should purchase! Now, if you are looking for a coin that has potential to increase in value and is a good investment, then I will recommend the following: Go to the VAM World Website http://www.vamworld.com/ and research the Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars on the "Top 100", "Hot 50", "Hit List 40", "Kimpton 12", "Elite ClashedDollars" and the "WOW! VAM" Lists as well as others including the "VAM of the Week" to see which are highly sought after and have the lowest population (least amount of specimens known). Then check for any and all of these on eBay "Sold Auction" Listings as well as the many Search Engines to see which one's of these are fetching the highest prices or their' values have significantly increased over the past year or so. Once you have a list of these, then go to Coin Shows and Coin Shops and try to Cherry Pick these hard to find, highly sought after and valuable Morgan and/or Peace Silver Dollars. Try to buy any and all of these in as high of a grade as possible because the highest grades of any of these, bring the most money when it comes time to sell. If after much research and study of VAM's, you become so good that you can spot a Morgan or Peace Silver Dollar which is apparently a VAM but not on any known VAM List, that is also a coin that you want to purchase. Once you have the coin in your possession and you are sure that it does not match any known VAM, then send the coin to Leroy Van Allen for attribution and if the coin is a new Discovery VAM, then you will likely be holding a coin that will increase in value fairly quickly once you have it certified, graded and with attribution of the Variety on the holder's label and once the word gets out about the new Discovery through Coin World, VAM World and the many VAM Collector Forums. While I have not done so in some time, a few years back, I could spot a VAM in a New York minute and if I felt that it was worthy (grade-wise and VAM-wise) and the price was right, I would purchase the coin. I did this many times, purchasing some MS Morgan and/or Peace Silver Dollars for $25 to $30 and after attribution of the VAM, I was able to resell some of these coins for hundreds of dollars each.

That is my recommendation but understand that VAM research and searching is tough study and not for everyone. However, if it is and you get good at it, then you can make a bundle of money doing it. If I were in the position financially where I could spend $5,000 to $10,000 with no worries about needing the money to pay bills, then I would still be researching and searching for VAM's as I could double, triple or even quadruple my' investment in a fairly short amount of time.

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank,
Thanks for leading me to the understanding (website) of what is a VAM.
Don....

You are more than welcome! If you need anymore information that you cannot find on VAM World's website, don't hesitate to ask. While I had the finances to do so, I collected, bought and sold a few hundred Morgan and Peace Dollar VAM Varieties but attributed many, many more for folks on forums, at Coin Shows, Gun Shows, Flea Markets and Coin Shops. Like I stated, VAM research and searching is not for everyone due to so many thousands of VAM's that are known and recorded and even the one's that aren't know or recorded. It is a demanding field of collecting, buying and selling of coins but one that can also be very profitable. One just needs a fair amount of liquid funds, a good eye, good memory and to be good at marketing/selling (and of course the Reference Books if you can afford them) to do well in the field! I made most of my' finds from research online and with very little in the way of Reference Books or Circulars issued by VAM World and Leroy Van Allen but it would be good if a person had and could afford the latter.

Frank

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input so far, But my question is what would you get? I like seeing what others are looking for.. and if anyone thinks anything a is a coin to have or undervalued I am all ears.. Myself I like pretty much all American coins.. Silver is always good;)

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be plain.. looks like 848000 made. Interesting

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you go with a 1927 Peace Silver Dollar, then go with the 1927-P with a mintage of 848,000 or the 1927-S with a mintage of 866,000 over the 1927-D which has a higher mintage of 1,268,000!!

Frank

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, I would look for the best Muttonhead Connecticut copper I could find for the money

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was new to coins, after I had a folder nearly full (like Merc dimes) I would get the cheapest, most worn key coins to fill the holes. But, in 1990 after buying an AG-3 1916 D dime, I hated the way It looked. And some friends in the coin club said that I should sell it back to the dealer and buy one that was "a little better than I could afford".

I did and got a certified VF-20 16-D. It took a year to pay it off, but I never regretted it. It's value climbs a lot faster than the About Good-3 version.

One other thing, if you haven't already, join a coin club. You will find all kinds of support and ideas.

Good Luck.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give you a TN discount if you are interested =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread