Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2015
Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I would like to know if you could help me with coin identification. I believe the silver ones are from around XVII century (Livonia/Sweden/Baltic states), but don't know for sure. Any information would be appreciated. IMG_20150322_163458.jpg IMG_20150322_163543.jpg IMG_20150322_163554.jpg IMG_20150322_163817.jpg IMG_20150322_163843.jpg IMG_20150322_163944.jpg IMG_20150322_164018.jpg IMG_20150322_164103.jpg IMG_20150322_164123.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Super Soldier to Treasure Net! The coins are out of my expertise, so I am of no help there. However, I would recommend placing them in a light bath of Acetone to arrest the verdigris aka verdi gris, rinse with water, pat dry then soak in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Mineral Oil to loosen dirt, grime and corrosion on them as well as stabilize them from futher decay and damage. Once done, remove from the Oil, rinse and pat dry and more details will likely be visible.

Frank

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The coin below the top left one appears (to these eyes) to be a medieval silver solidus from Riga (Livonia) during the period 1634-1654 (Christina); cataloged as KM#21.
Don..
PS: This coin has also been identified a a billion solidus from Riga under Swedish occupation 1653 (Christina reign). Actually, you can see the "5.3" in both the OP's coin and here: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1773&pos=7
(scroll down to 2-Mar-2013 entry)

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

ubersoldat

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2015
Europe
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for accurate and quick answers. Do you have any ideas on the last one, the bronze or copper one.

OP
OP
U

ubersoldat

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2015
Europe
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way huntsman53 I read that soaking a coin in Extra Virgin Olive Oil gives a thin protective layer but it also may end up with a dark stain on the coin. Is this true? And if it is, is it still worth doing so beacause of the protection?

OP
OP
U

ubersoldat

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2015
Europe
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like there are letters V and G on the top left. IMG_20150327_212142.jpg IMG_20150327_212317.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way huntsman53 I read that soaking a coin in Extra Virgin Olive Oil gives a thin protective layer but it also may end up with a dark stain on the coin. Is this true? And if it is, is it still worth doing so beacause of the protection?

Yes, Extra Virgin Olive Oil protects the coin when you leave some on it once the cleaning has been done and it can also darken a coin, especially when left soaking in it too long! While Mineral Oil has it's advantages of protecting coins from further environmental damage and will not darken them that I am aware of, it does not have the acid cleaning properties that Extra Virgin Olive Oil contains. One can always soak a Copper coin in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a short time, rinse with water, pat dry, then transfer the coin into a Mineral Oil bath/soak. Once a person is of the opinion that a coin's condition is not going to get better, no matter how much longer it soaks or is cleaned with a toothpick or green Rose Thorn, then just remove it from the Mineral Oil, rinse with water, pat dry and then place it in a protective holder such as a coin 2x2.

Frank

OP
OP
U

ubersoldat

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2015
Europe
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You very much, it seems your guess is correct.
One more question for huntsman53. When you wrote "in a light acetone bath" by what proportions should I dilute the acetone (do I delute it with water?)? Also I've read that nail polish acetone is not suitable for this, is this correct? Should I go for a different kind of acetone?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You very much, it seems your guess is correct.
One more question for huntsman53. When you wrote "in a light acetone bath" by what proportions should I dilute the acetone (do I delute it with water?)? Also I've read that nail polish acetone is not suitable for this, is this correct? Should I go for a different kind of acetone?

No, you do not want to dilute the Acetone! Also, you do not want to use Nail Polish Remover (Acetone) as it has other chemicals added to it that can be harmful to the coin and/or will not do what you want accomplished. I purchase full strength Acetone from the Paint and Painting Supplies department at Lowe's. When I say light bath, I mean to only leave a coin in the Acetone for a very short period of time. I may place a coin in it for a minute or so and then light rub the verdigris (the green stuff) with my finger tip and might repeat once or twice more. You may dig a few coins with only light verdigris on them which may be easily removed but you will find many others that the verdigris is not so easily removed and often not at all. The main key is to basically stop the chemical reaction going on with the verdigris by killing or arresting it with the Acetone.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/verdigris

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Remove-Verdigris-From-Coins-/10000000017991989/g.html

Frank

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the Roman coin close to one of these sizes
Sestertius ....(20-30g-35mm)...Dupondus (11-15g-29mm)...Ass...(9-12g-27mm.)

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread